Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create YTD Measures in the below scenario?

Hi,

I am working with GPServer data imported into PowerBI as a table called  'AccountTransactions'. Also I have a DateTable imported from an excel file. The datetable contains fields: Date, FiscalYear, FiscalMonthNo etc. I also have a relationship created between Date Column of the datetable table and "Transaction Date" column of the AccountTransactions table. This way I can filter AccountTransactions table data by fiscal year and its working great.

The fiscal period ends 9/30 so 10/1 is the beginning (first day) of Company's new fiscal year.

I have a measure created called Suppliers Count for 2019 using the following formula: 

Supplier Dues Collected FY2019 = CALCULATE(ABS([Net Amount]),AccountTransactions[Account Number]="1-2010",'date table'[FiscalYear]=2019) + CALCULATE(ABS([Net Amount]), AccountTransactions[Account Number]="1-2010",'date table'[FiscalYear]=2019)+ CALCULATE(ABS([Net Amount]),AccountTransactions[Account Number]="1-2010",'date table'[FiscalYear]=2019)

Now based on the value of this measure, I want to calculate the following: Supplier Dues Collected YTD (year to date) for fiscal year 2019,2018, 2017 and 2016 and then have them added on a chart to see the comaprison. I haven't really worked with YTD formulas so was wondering if someone could help with the correct formulas. Also one thing I need to make sure is, the fiscal period (edning 9/30) should be accounted into the formulas so the year end date is 9/30 not 12/31.

Basically the requirement is to see the YTD Comparison of current fiscal year with last three fiscal years: 2018 , 2017, 2016.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

Off the top of my head the Fiscal YTD could be done with the following measure

Fiscal YTD = TOTALYTD([Net Amount],'Date table'[Date],"09/30")

You could then put in your Fiscal Years from your Date table and it should work it out as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gilbert. Can you please clarify the last sentence about specifying fiscal years, didn’t get that part.

Sure thing

The last part is where you can define the year end date for TOTALYTD

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/totalytd-function-dax

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response Gilbert, I follow that but my question really is, how would i Calculate YTD for 2016, 2017 and 2018. The formula you provided would I guess give Current YTD value for FY2019. 

Hi @Anonymous

Do you define the "Fiscal Year" correctly?

From your information, it seems 

date

Fiscal Year

2016/1 ~2016/9/30

FY2016

2016/10/1 ~2017/9/30

FY2017

2017/10/1 ~2018/9/30

FY2018

2018/10/1 ~2019/9/30

FY2019

to get this kind "Fiscal Year" , you could create a calcualted column in the calendar table like

Fiscal Year =
SWITCH (
TRUE (),
[year] = 2016&& [month] > 9, 2017,
[year] = 2017&& [month] > 9, 2018,
[year] = 2018&& [month] > 9, 2019,
[year]
)

then create a measure

Measure = TOTALYTD(SUM(AccountTransactions[net amount]),'date table'[Date],"9/30")

11.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

fiscal year is defined in the datetable correctly and I am not looking to show the info in the form of a table. For the requirement, i have to calculate individual values for ytd, lytd using dax. The dax you provided would work to calculate current YTD, just need a formula to calculate LYTD please.

Hi there

You could take the measure above and do the following

LYTD = CALCULATE([measure],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date])

Power BI Blog

Hi there

If you create a table and put in the Fiscal Year and then your Total YTD Measure, it will work it out for each Fiscal year.

Just give it a go and see if it gives you the correct values.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors