Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TonyH

How to connect Power BI service to a document database?

We're looking at using MongoDB or ArangoDB (or similar) and we'd like to know if it is possible to connect Power BI online to using data live from sources such as those?  We want to provide our clients with the ability to create their own visualisations from their data (which will be hosted and provided by us to Power BI - hopefully?).  Is this possible and how would it be possible.

We accept that if it is required, we could create a read only OData API for Power BI to consume to get the data but ideally, it would be the online service (not the desktop application) that is actually consuming it.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The only document db supported natively right now I believe is Azure DocumentDB in the Desktop but I do not believe that it supports a live connection. You might be able to get there via OLE DB or R but OData sounds like it might be the way to go or perhaps JSON.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler.

Am I right in assuming that if I download the desktop version, connect to an OData source and then upload it, it will continue to update without the gateway if the connection is in the "cloud"?

Thanks,

Tony

Correct. It will use the "cloud gateway".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors