Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daniel_garcia
Frequent Visitor

How to configure my Azure VM Linux Postgresql Server to enable schedule refresh in Power BI

Hi,

I have a DWH on a VM Linux Postgresql Server hosted by Azure and I need to enable the schedule refresh option to keep my dashboard updated every day.

I installed Pgsql ODCB driver to connect my dashboard to DWH, when I upload it to Power BI portal, the schedule refresh option is disabled. I don't want to use On-promise gateway because I have already my Postgresql server on cloud and Azure. 

What do I need to do to enable this option? I was reading options on Internet about how it resolve like installing npgsql to connect to Power BI with my DWH but it seems complicated, the another one is to get Azure Database Postgresql server but that is not option for me because I have python scripts and ETL that running in my VM Linux for extracting data to DWH.

Expecting your feedbacks.

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @daniel_garcia ,

You are connecting to a database that hosted in Azure VM but not Azure SQL database so the gateway is required.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @daniel_garcia 

I think this can help you

https://big2smart.com/the-power-bi-gateway-a-practical-case/

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi Amine, 

Thank you for your reply.  That option is precisely what I want to avoid because I don't want to depend on a computer in my organizational network that takes that gateway role.  

That's why I got VM Azure Linux PostgreSQL Server hosted by the Azure Cloud. I understood that having the data source in Cloud, Power BI should enable the schedule refresh option.  I don't know if my PostgreSQL connection must be over SSL to work with Power BI to enable the option I need.

I hope my explanation could be understood, maybe I didn't understand what are the prerequisites to achieve that works and the option can be enabled.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors