Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to choose new gateway in Power BI service reports/data-sets

Hi, 

I have installed two on premise gateways, one at my local machine, other on server. Power BI service recognizes both of these on "Manage Gateway" tab. I want to switch data-sets connection through to Server one rather than Local machine one. I have turned off service at my local machine, but the reports and data-sets are still connecting the same Local gateway instance. It is causing to display error in visuals on power bi reports.

How do I start using a brand new gateway instead of an older one with my reports?

Thanks very much.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer. I understand that I can use recovery keys to migrate. But my emphasis on using brand new gateway for existing or new reports. I ap planning to have two different gateways for devloper and production environments.

Any ways, I just figured it out over the weekend. It is very laborious. I have to publish my reports again, each one of them again. I wished they had a better option in the settings of Power-BI service account, some-where on Data Source Tab.

But for others, who are looking for the same objective, can get a clue from following screenshot:     

Selecting Multiple Instances of Gateway while publishing a report.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous You should be able to do this pretty easily, rather than create a fresh install you can migrate or recover the laptop gateway on the server by inputting the recovery key you created when you deployed the gateway on your laptop. Power BI recognizes that key and will automatically move youre datasources over to that gateway.

The caveat here, is that the data sources need to be accessible to the server. So anything that is bound to your laptop in terms of data sources may need to be moved so that the gateway can "see" them and perform the refreshes.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer. I understand that I can use recovery keys to migrate. But my emphasis on using brand new gateway for existing or new reports. I ap planning to have two different gateways for devloper and production environments.

Any ways, I just figured it out over the weekend. It is very laborious. I have to publish my reports again, each one of them again. I wished they had a better option in the settings of Power-BI service account, some-where on Data Source Tab.

But for others, who are looking for the same objective, can get a clue from following screenshot:     

Selecting Multiple Instances of Gateway while publishing a report.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors