Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TGV
Regular Visitor

How to check if dedicated capacity is effective?

Hi.

We've been developing a service that publishes reports on the web for our customers using embedded tokens, and that's working well, but by now we've used 45% of our trial embedded capacity, so it's time to extend that.

1. I've understood the only way to keep using embedded tokens once the 100% is reached, is using a dedicated capacity. Is this right, or is there another way to buy capacity?

2. If I turn on the dedicated capacity, can I see/monitor its usage (and where)?

3. Can I see if there still is something that uses the trial capacity? Right now, I've got an alert whenever availableFeatures(featureName='embedTrial') increases, but that's per 5% (roughly once per week), which will make troubleshooting difficult.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

Please see my answers below.

1. One option is to use dedicated capacity which will allow for more usage.

2. Yes you can monitor dedicated capacity using the Power BI Premium Metrics App. You can find it here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-monitor-capacity

3. Right now I am not sure about the trial capacity. But when you use dedicated capacity you can monitor it with the above App

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TGV ,

Please review the following documentations and you can get answers from them:

How can I monitor Power BI Embedded capacity consumption?

Monitor capacities in the Admin portal

Monitor Premium capacities with the app

Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi. I did miss "Monitor capacities in the Admin portal", although we're doing PowerBI Embedded, not premium.

However, I can't find any info about point 1 (is there another way to buy embedded tokens), nor about point 3: an alert once per week isn't going to helpful in determining which resources are still using the test/trial capacity (if any). It would be nice to have more information about those issues, even when it turns out that there isn't any.

Thanks!

Hi @GilbertQ ,

Sorry to bother you again... I believe you may have a good understanding of embedded capacity, could you please help answer @TGV ' below questions?

1. I've understood the only way to keep using embedded tokens once the 100% is reached, is using a dedicated capacity. Is this right, or is there another way to buy capacity?

2. If I turn on the dedicated capacity, can I see/monitor its usage (and where)?

3. Can I see if there still is something that uses the trial capacity? Right now, I've got an alert whenever availableFeatures(featureName='embedTrial') increases, but that's per 5% (roughly once per week), which will make troubleshooting difficult.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there

Please see my answers below.

1. One option is to use dedicated capacity which will allow for more usage.

2. Yes you can monitor dedicated capacity using the Power BI Premium Metrics App. You can find it here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-monitor-capacity

3. Right now I am not sure about the trial capacity. But when you use dedicated capacity you can monitor it with the above App

Power BI Blog

Thanks.

From other messages, I've inferred that trial capacity can only be monitored in 5% increments. So be it. I'll monitor closely.

Thanks for letting us know.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors