Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

user0099
Frequent Visitor

How to change service email account

How I can change my email account PowerBI?

1. We started using PowerBI 2 month ago with email account "user@company.com"

2. We paid pro license, but didn't apply it.

3. Company changed email domain to "company222.com"

So we need to change email in PowerBI account. How it is possible to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
user0099
Frequent Visitor

Here solution for my case:

1. Create new account in PowerBI with our new domain

2. Setup and deploy existing reports under this new account

3. Apply pro license for this new account

Very unpleasant surprise was that all content was moved to archived space after license applied. And we have to re setup and re delploy existsings reports.Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
user0099
Frequent Visitor

Here solution for my case:

1. Create new account in PowerBI with our new domain

2. Setup and deploy existing reports under this new account

3. Apply pro license for this new account

Very unpleasant surprise was that all content was moved to archived space after license applied. And we have to re setup and re delploy existsings reports.Smiley Sad

user0099
Frequent Visitor

As far as I understand:

Email account change is possible through Office365 Admin center interface. To become Office365 Admin it is necessary:

1. To confirm my domain ownership via TXT-sign.

2. To buy Office365 license.

But I don't need Office365 license, so I do not know what to do. Smiley Sad

There is option to create new PowerBI account with new domain address and manually reconfigure all - dataset, reports, dashboards... but it's a lot of work...

Ah, you signed up THAT way...

Hmm, I can't really speak to that way of signing up for Power BI. My sneaking suspicion is that when you sign up that way, you are getting some form of an Azure AD account created that Power BI is using for authentication. However, I don't ever sign-up that way as we use O365. It might be interesting to go to azure.microsoft.com and then "Manage Account" and try to sign-in with that email address and see if you have a basic Azure AD directory provisioned. Tough to speak to that scenario...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@user0099 You may have a larger issue here. On a high level your "email" for Power BI is actually your UPN. So I'm assuming your company has some sort of sync with your on premises AD. If your company changed domains and wants to start using your new domain, you would need to add that domain to your Azure Tenant, and then update all your UPN suffixes in your on premises AD...

I am by no means an expert in this area, so consider this post a recommendation to look into these areas, as there could be much larger impacts to updating your UPN across the business depending on how long you've had them.

In AD I'm pretty sure you can add additional suffixes to your UPN, but I don't know how Power BI would react to that... 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is the user in Power BI associated with your company? You can check by going here:

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/settings/general/closeAccount

If it says:

Your account is managed by your organization's IT department. Please contact your administrator to request changes.

Then you are good. You *shouldn't* have to do anything. For example, my company changed email addresses from gdeckler@quicksolutions.com to gdeckler@fusionalliance.com. All I had to do after the domain change was to start logging in with gdeckler@fusionalliance.com instead of gdeckler@quicksolutions.com. This assumes that everything has been done correctly in O365 Administration.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler

Thank you. I checked link and I can close account. Actualy I am from IT, but we didn't set account as domain admin in Office365. We use only PowerBI account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors