Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

justindr24
Frequent Visitor

How to apply Power BI Embedded capacity to workspace

My organization has a Power BI Embedded capacity resource created in Azure. How do I add this resource to my current workspaces?

When I go to turn on Dedicated Capacity, it says I need 'Premium capacity' as well??

And I also don't see any options in the Power BI Embedded capacity settings of the Power BI Admin Page...

EmbeddedCapacity2.PNG

EmbeddedCapacity.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @justindr24

After creating Power BI Embedded capacity in the Azure portal, to use your new Power BI Embedded capacity, browse to the Power BI admin portal to assign workspaces. For more information, see Manage capacities within Power BI Premium and Power BI Embedded.

From this article, it should be noted that "Capacity admins, for Power BI Embedded capacity, are defined within the Microsoft Azure portal."

15.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
asarraf21
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem and finally resolved it by directly calling the REST API:

1. Call Capacities - Get Capacities to get the id of your embedded capacity
  2. Call Capacities - Groups AssignToCapacity to assign a capacity to a given workspace
    1. To find your workspace id, you can either call the webservice or open it in the browser and look at the url, e.g. https://app.powerbi.com/groups/THIS-IS-YOUR_WORKSPACE_ID/list

Once I linked a workspace to my capacity, the Workspace Setting > Premium tab started showing the linked capacity, even though I cannot change anything there. 

@asarraf21 , when you called the API to assign the capacity, where did you got the CapacityId that should be passes as parameter. I created a Power BI Embedded capacity in Azure but I could not find any CapacityId associated with it. Any help is appreciated! 

Sorry for the late reply, I mentioned it in the first step: call GET CAPACITIES endpoint to get the capacity Id. 

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @justindr24

After creating Power BI Embedded capacity in the Azure portal, to use your new Power BI Embedded capacity, browse to the Power BI admin portal to assign workspaces. For more information, see Manage capacities within Power BI Premium and Power BI Embedded.

From this article, it should be noted that "Capacity admins, for Power BI Embedded capacity, are defined within the Microsoft Azure portal."

15.png

Best Regards

Maggie

chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello, 

The fact you don't see the capacity in either location means the owner has not given you permissions. 

Thanks

Chuck 

Chuck Sterling
chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello, 

The fact you don't see the capacity in either location means the owner has not given you permissions. 

Thanks

Chuck 

Chuck Sterling

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors