Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Red217
Helper III
Helper III

How to allow one data source to fail without "stopping the entire" update

Hello, 

i have about 6-7 data sources, 

sometimes 1 of them has an issue, how can i configure the system to bypass/continue updating the rest if one failed, now when one failed the entire process fails... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @Red217 

Are you referring to Power BI automatically trying to refresh again after a failed refresh?

According to my understanding, Power BI will retry the refresh internally if it encounters a problem during the refresh process, and will return the error only after a certain number of times.

For the function I did in the background, I did not find the relevant configuration content.

If the refresh process fails, you can only restart the refresh by manually refreshing or triggering the next scheduled refresh.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Red217 

According to my research in the official documentation and long-term experience in troubleshooting data refresh, if Power BI's dataset refresh is for the dataset in the import mode, if it encounters an error or stuck situation in a data source or a certain link, it will perform several retries, and if it is still unsuccessful, it will be judged that this refresh failed, and the data that was previously loaded into the Power BI cache for this data refresh will be emptied, and the last recently refreshed data will be retained. However, data is not reserved only for successfully refreshed data sources, it is loaded into the model and replaces the old data model or simply retains the old data model.

For more information, you can check this document:

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you encounter a situation where the refresh does not stop for a long time and does not report an error, you can also try to manually cancel the refresh process of this dataset using this REST API:

Datasets - Cancel Refresh - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya, 

sorry i dont fully understand , is there a way "for the process to continue" if once fails ?

Hi , @Red217 

Are you referring to Power BI automatically trying to refresh again after a failed refresh?

According to my understanding, Power BI will retry the refresh internally if it encounters a problem during the refresh process, and will return the error only after a certain number of times.

For the function I did in the background, I did not find the relevant configuration content.

If the refresh process fails, you can only restart the refresh by manually refreshing or triggering the next scheduled refresh.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors