Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n_farooq

How to allow Guest Users to use our Power BI pro license instead of getting their own

I am working for an organization in which we have multiple reports built over a  data set that needs to be shared with guest users that doesn't belong to our organization. So for that purpose I have added them in our azure active directory users and in this way they can now access those reports however they are seeing sixty days trial message like you have sixty days left for using this trial license then you have to buy it at the top of the workspace. So for that can you kindly guide me that what step are to be taken in order to have those users to use our organization pro account instead of creating their own. At our Azure 360 we are getting 2 licenses 1 is power bi pro license and the other one is power bi free. So in which license do i need to add them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @n_farooq ,

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are a few ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, get a Premium Per User (PPU) license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

Guest users who can edit and manage content in the organization need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to contribute content to workspaces or share content with others.

For more details please take a look at this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#licensing .

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @n_farooq ,

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are a few ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, get a Premium Per User (PPU) license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

Guest users who can edit and manage content in the organization need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to contribute content to workspaces or share content with others.

For more details please take a look at this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#licensing .

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-jayw-msft ,
The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared This is fine.

But how can i let external (outside org ) user to use their Power BI Pro/ PPU license to access semantic model shared by us ? 
what are the steps ?

as currently what i want is
I have PPU Licence , and i shared semantic model with external user (ext org), now external user is able to see that semantic model in 

omkar_patil_644_0-1705080432939.png

Tab.
when he tried clicking on semantic model he is getting redirected to another page, where tenantid is Provider one.
and on that page he is not able to access dataset as there is no License type mapped.

now case is , end user has its PowerbI Account licence, but once he is clicking on dataset, tenant is changing and his workspace location changes  to providers tenant, where he don't have any licence mapped.

what should I do ?

or otherwise pls provide me steps to share semantic model to user outside organization.

n_farooq

"You can allocate one of your Pro licences to them"
By this do you mean that I need to add the users (abc@xyz.com) into our Power BI pro licence users at Microsoft 360? 
And any idea that how many guest users I can add over there?
Plus for premium capacity do you mean power bi premium per user licence as well?

Hi @n_farooq 

Firstly, no, Power BI Premium Per User licence does not allow Free Licence Access. You have to have a Premium Capacity licence for Free Licences to have access.

I don't know if there's a limit to the number of guest users, but I suspect if there is it would be a large one.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @n_farooq 

Your guest users will need a Power BI licence to access any content you share with them. As you have a Pro licence they'll need a Pro licence themselves. You can allocate one of your Pro licences to them or they can purchase their own licence.

If you have a Premium Capacity licence your guest users will only need a Free Power BI licence to consume content shared with them on a Premium Capacity workspace.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors