Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to add user to a published app without updating the app?

I can not figure out how I can add people to my app without publishing the app with the newest changes?

I am under 2nd fase of development of a already published app. I would like to add user app in access tab.

But I do not want to published the newest changes I have made to the app, as they are not finalized.

What to do?

If I add people I can not figure out to "save" these changes without updating the app.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I totally agree, I would like to think that they would change it so that you can update the users and who has access.

What you could do, is to create an Active Directory Group and then add this Active Directory Group to the access for the App. So in future you would simply have to get the user added into the AD Group and they will automatically be able to see the App?

This would be the recommended way of doing it, as Groups are a lot easier to manage than individual users.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

We are not able to save changes to published app if we don't update the app. In your scenario, as long as you just only add one user in Access tab and app content aren't changed, you can update the app.

If the app content are modified and you don't want end user to see app with updated content, you can try to grant the user view-only permission in app workspace, where you create apps.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Is this the intended way of working - or ido you want to accept/approve this issue as a change?

I would like to convince my company to go away from Qlik Sense and use Power BI instead.

But if you are not able to add users to an app in "production" when you in the meantime do some development in "test", I really does not make sense to use Power BI if you are a bigger enterprise that care about governance.

My only thought would be if you had to go into the Report and possibly download the PBIX would that not be in the current version?

I would then save your updated version with a different name. Publish up again the current version of the report, so that it as if it was the previous version. Then you could add your user to the App security.

After which you could then rename your updated version to the same name as your current version and continue working.

I know it is a bit of a hack but I cannot think of any other way.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get your point @GilbertQ, but it is really a hack. And this way of working is really not helping me in trying to convince to go from QS to PBI 😞

I totally agree, I would like to think that they would change it so that you can update the users and who has access.

What you could do, is to create an Active Directory Group and then add this Active Directory Group to the access for the App. So in future you would simply have to get the user added into the AD Group and they will automatically be able to see the App?

This would be the recommended way of doing it, as Groups are a lot easier to manage than individual users.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are absolutly right. However, my IT organization to not allow the AD group as a distribution group, because you when can use to group to set an e-mail in outlook 😞

I am fairly certain that you can create an Active Directory Group that does not have to have a Mail-Enabled email address. And in doing so you can then add users to the group, but it will not be able to be used to send emails?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors