Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Write data into a data flow every day ?

Hi Community, 

I need some help regarding a project (Snap shot in time ) i am handling .  I have a report that refreshes every day at 04:00 AM EST . 90 % of the data in this report comes from a SQL data source A  .  10% of data comes from a different SQL data source B.  Data source B gets the data loaded into one of the tables after the queries runs at 03:30 AM EST .   Every day a SQL Job runs the below Insert query at 03:30 AM EST and insert information into one of the tables of Data source B . 

Insert Query : 

insert into T8375_SRV_MGT_DAL_AST_CNT

select getdate()-1 as ADD_DATE,

(select [T8374_AST_TYP_CD] from [dbo].[T8374_SRV_MGT_AST_TYP] where [T8374_AST_TYP_CD] = 1 ) as asset_type, --asset type application. change to 2 for devices

(select count(distinct Instance_ID)
from ast_application BMCAP
where Data_set_id = 'BMC.Asset' and (AssetLifecycleStatus = 9 or AssetLifecycleStatus = 3)) as active_cnt

OutPut : Every day a new row of data should be added . 

Capture.PNG

This process is working fine. However, instead of having a second data source B for that 10% of information into Power BI report , I would like to know if we can do it in a different way using data flows or any other Power BI related tools  so that we can avoid a second SQL data source B . 

Please assist me with the problem i am facing . Looking forward for a solution . 

Thanks,

G Venkatesh 

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I am not saying it is a good idea. I am saying it is mandatory. If you don't have the resources for that then that is unfortunate, but Power BI cannot help you in that situation.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Keep in mind that Power BI has no guaranteed memory, not even for dataflows.  Any historical/snapshot data storage needs to be done at the data source if you need recoverability.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ibendlin for the reply. 

Yeah Thats a good idea to develop snapshots in time based on data stored at data source level itself . However, we do not have enough resources to write back data to data source for historical use. 

G venkatesh 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are you solving an actual problem or are you only curious about other options?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/dataflows/incremental-refresh

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin ,

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to solve an actual problem itself.  I followed the steps that are in the link you have provided.  What i see is the previous day's data is being replaced with new data ,however new day's data is not being added . Not sure if i am making any mistake . below is the M code i have tried. 

let
  Source = Sql.Database("mssqlremrptprd1""ARsystem", [Query = "select count(distinct Instance_ID) 'App Count',getdate() 'Refresh Date'#(lf)from  ast_application BMCAP#(lf)where Data_set_id = 'BMC.Asset' and (AssetLifecycleStatus = 9 or AssetLifecycleStatus = 3) #(lf)"]),
  #"Query-526566726573682044617465-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each DateTime.From([#"Refresh Date"]) >= RangeStart and DateTime.From([#"Refresh Date"]) < RangeEnd)
in
  #"Query-526566726573682044617465-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh"

Capture.PNG

Expected output : 

App Count     Refresh Date 
1652                4/12/2021
1654                4/13/2021
1659                4/14/2021

Thanks,
G Venkatesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors