cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yintluo

How to Update Dashboards after Data Cubes Migrated between SSAS

We have a few dashboards built on top of a data cube residing in SSAS. Recently we migrated the cube from one server to another, and was hoping to modify this data source setting on our dashboards. It seems like PowerBI service would not allow us to access "data source settings" in its hosted reports, which was drastically different than how we updated the local desktop copy. Instead, we have to re-upload an identical report with the data source modified, and re-pin 300+ visuals across all our dashboards...

What is an efficently way to update all your dashboards if you move your data cube from one server to another? Is it true that when I upload a report with an identical name on what's already been hosted in my PBI service workspace, a new copy of datasets and report will be created? I have heard that in the past, the newly updated reports and datasets will overwrite those with the same names, but I wasn't given this option when I carried out this operation. 

Would appreciate any advice in improving the efficiency in this scenario, as we spent 3 hours+ re-pinning our dashboards with a very minor change in data source...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@yintluo If you started with the Desktop, and built your reports and published the PBIX to the Service and created dashboards, then the following should be true.

You would create a new data source in the Gateway.

You could modify the data source in the Desktop file to the new one, and when you executed the "Publish" to the same workspace a notification should appear saying that you are going to overwrite your existing dataset. At which point, a publish would update the existing dataset/reports. If the name of the PBIX is the same, everything should just be replaced and you shouldn't need to re-create all the dashboards...

If you built the report based on a dataset in the Service that directly connected to the SSAS instance, then I would assume you would have to do what you described.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@yintluo If you started with the Desktop, and built your reports and published the PBIX to the Service and created dashboards, then the following should be true.

You would create a new data source in the Gateway.

You could modify the data source in the Desktop file to the new one, and when you executed the "Publish" to the same workspace a notification should appear saying that you are going to overwrite your existing dataset. At which point, a publish would update the existing dataset/reports. If the name of the PBIX is the same, everything should just be replaced and you shouldn't need to re-create all the dashboards...

If you built the report based on a dataset in the Service that directly connected to the SSAS instance, then I would assume you would have to do what you described.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

Jan 2022 Dev Camp 768x460 copy.png

Power BI Dev Camp- January 27th, 2022

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!