Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lionx
Helper I
Helper I

How to Install & configure Python for the On-premises data gateway?

I try to schedule refresh data for Python script data source in Power BI service but I get the error "Query contains unknown function name: Python.Execute". 

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

Discover Data Sources
Query contains unknown function name: Python.Execute Unknown function name: Python.Execute is a valid Mashup library function name format. Hence fail the operation.

The Python script works well in Power BI Desktop but not for schedule refresh data in Power BI service. I find the solution in the following link that is to install Python in data gateway:

Solved: Re: Query contains unknown function name: Python.E... - Microsoft Power BI Community

I did install the On-premises data gateway but I don't know how can I install Python on the gateway. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @lionx 

Are you trying to use an enterprise gateway? That won't work.  Python and R scripts require a personal gateway. That personal gateway will automatically share the libraries that you have installed on that PC.

For more information, you can refer to :

Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

Use personal gateways in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @lionx 

Are you trying to use an enterprise gateway? That won't work.  Python and R scripts require a personal gateway. That personal gateway will automatically share the libraries that you have installed on that PC.

For more information, you can refer to :

Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

Use personal gateways in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft

Thank you very much for your time and support. 

Besides enterprise gateway, I installed the personal gateway. However, now I confront with another issue as follow:

lionx_0-1670388465760.png

The issue is the same in this post: 

Query contains unsupported function. Function name... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Hi , @lionx 

Oh ... I go to the Power BI Support web site and see the konwn issue!

Support | Microsoft Power BI

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1670393320172.png

For this problem, the official website has been released, you can wait patiently to fix it!

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft 

MS Engineers have identified the root cause and a fix was deployed on 11-Dec-2022. Now I can schedule refresh data but I confront with another error when I try to refresh the dataset as follows:

lionx_0-1670797447122.png

Hi , @lionx 

According to the error code : Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.

As searched , you can refer to these document to try to , i hope they may be helpful:
Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available · Issue #8273 · conda/conda · Git...

Python "SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/do...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft 

It is working for a while and then it comes up with another issue as below. The mkl-service package was installed in the Python3.7 environment.

ADO.NET: Python script error. C:\Users\HungNguyen\.conda\envs\py37\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py:148: UserWarning: mkl-service package failed to import, therefore Intel(R) MKL initialization ensuring its correct out-of-the box operation under condition when Gnu OpenMP had already been loaded by Python process is not assured. Please install mkl-service package, see http://github.com/IntelPython/mkl-service from . import _distributor_init Traceback (most recent call last): File "PythonScriptWrapper.PY", line 2, in <module> import os, pandas, matplotlib File "C:\Users\HungNguyen\.conda\envs\py37\lib\site-packages\pandas\__init__.py", line 17, in <module> "Unable to import required dependencies:\n" + "\n".join(missing_dependencies) ImportError: Unable to import required dependencies: numpy: IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS FOR ADVICE ON HOW TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE! Importing the numpy C-extensions failed. 

Hi @v-yueyunzh-msft 

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

I worked around and it works for me now. 

Hi @lionx ,
I am also facing the same issue
I am running a Python script for some transformations in power query, it's refreshing on the desktop, but showing the same issue as you got on service.

miiihiir_0-1699985527879.png

Can you please help me?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors