Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Govern the reports in Power BI service and also enabling self service to business users

Our current approach :

We use one drive to check in and check out power bi files for coordinating between deveopers (BI Team) and then there by connecting power bi files from power bi service to one drive. We would also like to enable business users to built their own reports in workspaces and there by sharing and distributing via power bi app. Source for power bi is SSAS.

My Conerns:

1.If the business user edit the report in service which was connected to power bi fle in one drive then it's going to break the link between service and one drive for that file which we don't want to happen (work around we are educating the business users not to edit the files that were published by BI team). Every time that wanted to built reports we told them to go to data sets tab and then add report from the corresponding data set. How to enforce either not to break the link between service and one drive or how to sync one drive file to the changes that were made in power bi serivce ? 

2. We have backup files for the ones that BI team built in one drive just in case if some one accidentally delete a report but what about the reports that where created by business users ? We can't take backup of the files when ever business user built a report.

Please share if you have any thoughts that would make by scenario better ? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As you mentioned that is always a challenge with a larger installation

There are Admin APIs that are now available where you can download all the PBIX files for the entire tenant.
As well as a host of other Admin API functionality

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-apis-and-powershell-cmdlets-for-power-bi-adminis...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As you mentioned that is always a challenge with a larger installation

There are Admin APIs that are now available where you can download all the PBIX files for the entire tenant.
As well as a host of other Admin API functionality

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-apis-and-powershell-cmdlets-for-power-bi-adminis...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors