Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vadlamudibi
Helper I
Helper I

How to Create dataflow on SQL Analysis Server

Dear experts,

We have a requirements that we need to create Dataflow on SQL Analysis Server.

we can connect SQL analysis server through power bi desktop, but when i tried to create Dataflow on SQL Analysis server i do not see the option, as you see the below screenshots?

what is the best recommended approach to create Dataflows on SQL Analysis Server databases affectively?

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

how can i achieve this?

Best

Vad

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

It would appear as if it is not there.

What I suggest you could do, is to create the data you want to extract in Power BI Desktop using the Query Editor.

Then once that is done go into the Advanced Editor and copy all the M language from there.

Then go into the dataflow, create a blank dataflow and then paste in the code from Power BI desktop.

That should then get the data (possibly via the Gateway) to get the data into the dataflow.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the resonse,

Create Blank query and paste the code power bi desktop as shown in the below screenshot?

Capture.JPG

Best

Vad

Hi there

Yes that is it.

Power BI Blog

Hello GilbertQ,

Thanks for your inputs.

The requirement is that Business is already created Cube in SQL Analysis server on top of tables and created around 70 KPIs after hectic efforts and the Reports already up and running in Tableau, and now they want to swith reporting tool to Power BI and start creating reports.

Business asking to use Cube with Live connection because already KPIs are readily available.

We are in a direction to use Dataflows with Schedule refresh/Incremental Refresh.

We want to propose below options.

Connect Analysis server Tables through Power bi desktop and create Dataflow using Blank query  - Time consuming due to KPIs recreation 

Connect directly the Model using Direct connection and create Dataflow using Blank query - Live connection performance bad ?

any best practices and recommendations please?

Best

Venu

Hi there

I would say if you already have got the SSAS Cube, why not just use Power BI desktop and use the LiveConnection to the SSAS Cube?

In that way all the information stays where it is and it gets consumed quickly and easily via Power BI?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then you can't automate refresh and use the share options that PowerBI online has.

I am also trying to access on-prem AS datasources with dataflows.
There are many use cases for this. One that we have is that we need the same tables to be reused in several datasets and we do not want to maintain the query in several datasets.
I am the DMG admin. 
When I copy the query developped in Power BI Desktop to a dataflow, I am requested to select a DMG, and even though the data source is defined, I am prompted to provide the credentials for the AS data source. But when I do so, I get the following error: "Received error payload from gateway service with ID xxxx: Internal error: MashupCredential for AS data source that uses Windows authentication needs to have an effective user name authentication property"
But I do not see any way of providing this parameter.

Hi there

Yes this is the case because On-Prem uses Domain\User vs UPN and as far as I know this can only be translated via the Gateway and the User mapping.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors