Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is the correct MSOLAP.dll version for PBI service determined?

Hi all,

I just resolved my "error on data source access, contact gateway admimistrator" issue. Looking through the gateway logs revealed that the gateway was looking for MSOLAP.5. This is MSOLAP 11.0, which is SSAS 2012. So I downloaded & installed the SSAS2012 64-bit msolap, and now the report runs fine in the service.

The tabular model the power bi report is connecting to is ssas 2017.

1) Why is an old version of msolap being used here instead of whatever the most recent version is?

2) How can I direct that the newest msolap version be used?

3) Will this be an issue for my users? Will I need to direct every report consumer to download & install ssas2012 msolap? That seems like a terrible user experience.

Thanks for any tips!

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

Is your report using DirectQuery Mode?

Or are you connecting via Excel?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gilbert,

The data source for my power bi report is an on-prem ssas 2017 tabular model in live/direct query mode. The report was fine in power bi desktop, and then didn't work when published to the service - which led me to the discovery that the gateway logs had the ssas2012 driver issue.

Ahh ok, that makes perfect sense, where I had my Gateway Installed I also had SSAS 2017 installed. So it would have had the updated version of the MSOLAP.dll

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coolness. So what's the impact for other consumers of the power bi report? Will they experience the same issue, needing to have a correct version of msolap.dll registered?

Or is this only a prereq on the box hosting the gateway? And if this is the case, why is the prereq an *old* version of msolap.dll and not the newest one (which was already installed/registered)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors