Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

John1
Frequent Visitor

How do you edit a blank table in dataflow?

I created a blank table data source in a dataflow, and am trying to figure out how to edit it now. In desktop, the applied step/source has a gears icon you can select that opens a window to edit the table. Data flow doesnt have the same icon, or at least I dont see anything obvious on how to edit it. Its not like other steps where you can just edit the m query - this has embedded the table data in binary, and then wrapped that with a bunch of m query commands to deflate the binary and make a table. Desktop does it in the same way, but you can still edit the table. 

Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@John1,

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZRBrsMwC.....", BinaryEncoding.Base64)

I can reproduce this. This kind of function will exist when you use "Enter Data" button in power bi desktop, however, it seems like dataflow doesn't allow user to change data they entered currently. I would suggest you to submit your idea here. As a workaround, you can create a blank query and use power query language below to generate or modify a table:

let
  Source = Table.FromRecords({  
            [CustomerID = 1, Name = "Bob", Phone = "123-4567"],  
            [CustomerID = 2, Name = "Jim", Phone = "987-6543"] ,  
            [CustomerID = 3, Name = "Paul", Phone = "543-7890"] ,  
            [CustomerID = 4, Name = "Ringo", Phone = "232-1550"]  
      })
in
  Source

1.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You should be able to go into the dataflow, then click on Edit Entities and click on the table and select Advanced Editor

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Advanced Editor pulls up the M Query editer, but not a table editor to change the data on the table. You see this, not the table data within the Binary.FromText function...

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZRBrsMwC.....", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = (type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type table ....

@John1,

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZRBrsMwC.....", BinaryEncoding.Base64)

I can reproduce this. This kind of function will exist when you use "Enter Data" button in power bi desktop, however, it seems like dataflow doesn't allow user to change data they entered currently. I would suggest you to submit your idea here. As a workaround, you can create a blank query and use power query language below to generate or modify a table:

let
  Source = Table.FromRecords({  
            [CustomerID = 1, Name = "Bob", Phone = "123-4567"],  
            [CustomerID = 2, Name = "Jim", Phone = "987-6543"] ,  
            [CustomerID = 3, Name = "Paul", Phone = "543-7890"] ,  
            [CustomerID = 4, Name = "Ringo", Phone = "232-1550"]  
      })
in
  Source

1.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I went back to the pbix file that I had before I was using dataflow, edited the table there and relplaced the uninterpretable characters in the function Binary.FromText("..." 

I had to do that more selective change because when I tried just replacing the code for the whole statement, or the code for the whole table (advanced editor), I got an error "An error occured while validating your queries." and this was the only way I found past it. 

This seems like a gap in data flow. 

@John1

I'm afraid the encrypted data in Binary.FromText should not be modified manually. Have you tried the workaround?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I didnt try the workaround as the table is too large; I needed to paste it in from Excel. 

I didnt modify the data, just replaced it. I havent noticed an issue yet. Where I did have an error was when I pasted in the whole line of code from desktop or the whole advanced editor code from desktop. But, replacing just the encrypted part within the quotes seemed to work. Not sure why I couldnt replace the whole line of code or what the error means. 

Hi there

You could click on Source and then the Gear Icon to bring up the original table?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors