Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do users having other than the Owner Privileges can refresh the data set manually?

Hello All,

One of the PowerBI projects I am working on, I am facing some challenges/question in regards to what can be done from a refresh perspective.

So let's say someone publishes the report from the BI desktop app so that user gets the owner priviledges. Then that user puts the report into the SharePoint PowerBI web part. Now in order for others to see this report into SharePoint, they must be assigned Read and Reshare access through the PowerBi service specifc to a report. 

So now we have scheduled the refresh which is going to take place daily at a certain time using the User account with Owner Priviledges(the user who originally published the report). Now let's say I assign read and reshare access to couple more users to make them able to see the report into SharePoint as well as in the app and it seems to have work fine but the users with Read and Reshare Access are not being able to refresh the dataset manually using the 'Refresh Now' option in the app service. This can only be done through the User who originally published the report. Now my question is, is there a way to make other users able to do refresh now for the report shared with them from a user that has Onwer priviledges? Not sure if this is doable or not because in theory client wants to make multiple people refresh the datasset manually as well becasue of certain meeitings etc in addition to the sceduled refresh. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, currently only the Owner of the report will be able to refresh the report. As well as be able to schedule the refresh using the On-Premise Gateway as required.

Also remember that when sharing a report, the people who get the shared report either via a Share or App are read-only users. So read-only users will not be able to edit or refresh the reports.

And finally if you are using Power BI Pro, you only get 8 refreshes a day if using the On-Premise Data Gateway, or 48 refreshes if the App Workspace is on Power BI Premium. So if all users were allowed to refresh as and when they wanted, this could very quickly hit the 8 x per day limit.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, currently only the Owner of the report will be able to refresh the report. As well as be able to schedule the refresh using the On-Premise Gateway as required.

Also remember that when sharing a report, the people who get the shared report either via a Share or App are read-only users. So read-only users will not be able to edit or refresh the reports.

And finally if you are using Power BI Pro, you only get 8 refreshes a day if using the On-Premise Data Gateway, or 48 refreshes if the App Workspace is on Power BI Premium. So if all users were allowed to refresh as and when they wanted, this could very quickly hit the 8 x per day limit.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors