Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

agneum
Helper I
Helper I

How do I reuse a gateway connection between my reports?

Right now, every time a we need to map some on-prem data to dataset (to our gateway in app.powerbi.com) we have to create an entirely new connection in the gateway, even though there are something like 20 existing connections with the exact same credential and connection string.

When "mapping" it is simply not allowed to choose between existing connections. It clutters everything, and is very annoying , and a nightmare if say, the database credential is changed.

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I haven't seen this before. However I think I can say something that might help. In order to make different Pbix files with same source take one source of the configured in the Gateway. All sources must be configured exactly with the same string. You can't miss a "," or anything. If you use a port in one and not another, then it's a different connection. If you use IP in one and alias in another it's a different connection.

Be sure that your Power Query code in the datasets are the same, SQL Server e.g:

Source = Sql.Database("[server instance]", "[database]")

You can check it in Power Bi Desktop under Data Sources settings. If you load a lot of tables from same source you should only see one source with the previous name.

If all files are like that, you should only configure the gateway source once. It might sounds like obvious but believe me when I say "check the files again".

I hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors