Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaveInNM
Regular Visitor

How do I remove a 'ghost' gateway?

I'm still in the process of learning how gateways work and now I'm stuck.  I created an enterprise gateway on my on prem server and hooked it up to a dataset in the PowerBI service.  But when I realized it required a domain, I figured out that the personal gateway was what I was looking for.  So I deleted the gateway on my on prem server and installed a personal gateway instead.  But now, when I try to hook up my dataset in the PowerBI service, it shows me this:

DaveInNM_0-1634749611631.png

When I click on the Recreate cloud data sources, it just spins and never returns.  If I go to Settings -> Manage gateways, it is blank.

How do I get rid of the 'ghost' gateway and instead hookup the dataset to my newly created personal gateway?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @DaveInNM ;

I would suspect this is happening because when you take over a cloud dataset the previous credentials were linked to the user who owned the dataset.

Check the datasource in Manage Gateway or you need to remap the dataset to it in gateway connection.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
romgut
Advocate III
Advocate III

I had a live connection to an SQL server analysis services and got the same error.

What helped was to change the server name in the connection, it used to be servername.network - I removed the network part and left only the servername and the db name and it worked. 

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @DaveInNM ;

I would suspect this is happening because when you take over a cloud dataset the previous credentials were linked to the user who owned the dataset.

Check the datasource in Manage Gateway or you need to remap the dataset to it in gateway connection.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have the same issue. I also don't have the option to remove the onprem Gateway

Thank you Yalan Wu!  This was indeed the issue.  I got the issue resolved.  Thanks!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @DaveInNM ,

I am not sure that this is related to the gateway.  The error message is stating that it is not finding a data source that is being used in the report.  And, specifically, this is stating that it is a "cloud" data source - one that doesn't need a gateway.  So, I think the real question is whether or not that data source still exists?  Or, are you linking to something in the desktop version that needs a different link on the service version?  I would go back to the desktop and review each data source and see if you can figure out which one it might be.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

i have the same problem, it started when i linked a dataset already loaded in power bi into an already existing report.

Once we got the data and updated the report, the problem started.

I have correctly entered the login data but I have not solved

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors