Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

electrobrit
Post Patron
Post Patron

How do I publish data from Power BI desktop but not change the report!

Hopefully I haven't messed up too bad. I am on my first report in Power BI. 

I have been doing everything in Power BI Desktop but I had my charts on different pages, wasn't doing much organizing yet. 

I then published to Power BI service into "My Workplace". I started building dashboards but then realized when you change anything on the report, it doesn't change on the dashboard. So, I alotted to create the reports (still in my workplace on service) then pin the live pages to the dashboard which worked great!

Now my refresh actually happens in desktop because a file gets replaced in Sharepoint every night with the same name and it automatically updates. 

So I went back and refreshed Power BI desktop after the update and see the new numbers but if I publish, it will override my report I did in Power BI Service. I tested it and it does. I was saving my report in Power BI server, where does it save to? Can it override what I've done in Desktop so I can refresh.

Now my dataset in power bi service says it has no credentials and I'm not sure what that means either. I feel like I need to update it and get the dataset and report but I can't lose my report and dashboard that I created in there. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

so happy to find this, I solved my issue. My report I created on Power BI on the web was able to be downloaded in desktop. 

Because the sharepoint file is being replaced with the same file name every night, it is automatically updating my desktop report but I couldn't get it to update the Dashboard or th report I created in Power Bi on the web without a gateway which I coinsidentally could never get installed so went back to see what other options I had and found this.

Now all issues solved

2016-12-12_10h55_18.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @electrobrit,

>>Now my refresh actually happens in desktop because a file gets replaced in Sharepoint every night with the same name and it automatically updates. 

For your requirement, you can use gateway to refresh your datesource, take a look at below articles to know more about gateway and refresh.

Keep your dashboards and reports up-to-date with your on-premises data sources

On-premises data gateway

Data refresh in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

So I can not use Power bi desktop on this report anymore now that I've created a report in Power BI on the web? it doesn't save as is and I can open in desktop and keep working on it from where I left off?

so happy to find this, I solved my issue. My report I created on Power BI on the web was able to be downloaded in desktop. 

Because the sharepoint file is being replaced with the same file name every night, it is automatically updating my desktop report but I couldn't get it to update the Dashboard or th report I created in Power Bi on the web without a gateway which I coinsidentally could never get installed so went back to see what other options I had and found this.

Now all issues solved

2016-12-12_10h55_18.png

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You have to have Gateways installed and configured in order to refresh your file in PowerBI cloud service. Check out this at :

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/ 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thanks @BhaveshPatel but your link took me a page with an error 404

Not  Sure what happended. You can also download the gateway by going to powerbi.com and at the bottom of the page, You can see on premises gateway in the downloads section.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors