Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

matdub40
Helper II
Helper II

How do I delete a gateway instance in Power BI that no longer exists?

I installed on a server of my company a gateway for Power BI and I configured it, it is called S442DBCA.

Then, I installed on my local computer another gateway that I defined as a cluster of the first gateway, it is called S442DBCA_new. I did some tests and I don't need the local gateway on my computer anymore so I uninstalled it directly from my control panel.

I also uninstalled the main one which was on my server thinking that the two gateways would be removed from my Power BI space.

Unfortunately my main gateway is still in my Power BI app:

XqlOE.png

and when I click on the 3 little dots then Delete I get the error message :

A problem has occurred

We were not able to delete this gateway because it is the main gateway within a cluster that has other gateway instances. Delete the other gateway instances in this cluster before you delete the main gateway.

I did several searches and saw that it was possible to do this in PowerShell (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Cannot-remove-Gateway-Cluster-in-PowerBi-Service-when-the/id...) unfortunately my server's version of PowerShell is too old and I can't update it.

Is there any other way to remove this gateway and this instance of gateway from Power BI? Knowing that both are uninstalled and therefore inaccessible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @matdub40 

According to my research, I think you can also try to go to the power platform admin center to find your gateway instance and check if it can be successfully removed:

v-robertq-msft_0-1620377081988.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1620377081990.png

For more information, you can turn to this link :

https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/10/28/how-to-easily-remove-a-power-bi-on-premise-data-gateway-from-a-cl...

One blog about the method using the PowerShell

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @matdub40 

According to my research, I think you can also try to go to the power platform admin center to find your gateway instance and check if it can be successfully removed:

v-robertq-msft_0-1620377081988.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1620377081990.png

For more information, you can turn to this link :

https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/10/28/how-to-easily-remove-a-power-bi-on-premise-data-gateway-from-a-cl...

One blog about the method using the PowerShell

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your answer @v-robertq-msft , it worked I was able to remove my gateway!

matdub40
Helper II
Helper II

No @selimovd , as I said in my question, it's when I press these 3 little dots that the error appears because it's trying to delete my gateway instance that no longer exists on my computer...

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @matdub40 ,

I had the same issue a few months ago.

The solution is very easy. When you to the very right of your cluster, suddenly 3 dots will appear. When you click that you can remove the gateway:

selimovd_0-1620243037926.png

It's really difficult to get that because the dots won't appear until you really hover them with the mouse.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors