Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GTS_ONE
Advocate II
Advocate II

How could I apply Permissions to Shared Datasets?

Hi all,

Here's the situation: let's say I have a data source that holds global data.  I want to allow PBI developers around the globe to easily access this data, BUT I want to make sure that the developers can only see the data for the region they are in (NA should only see NA data, EMEA only EMEA, etc)

Note that I am talking about report BUILDERS not just readers.  I know for readers you can easily do RLS and be done with it, but I'm talking about the people building the actual PBI reports.

The new Shared Datasets is almost perfect.  So I can set up a single curated Certified Dataset and give the access to all the developers around the globe so they can build reports off of it.  

However, if I do that, they would see global data, not just their own region, right?  And I don't think there's a way to change that?

Any ideas on how I could accomplish this scenario somehow in PBI?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @GTS_ONE ,

In fact, current RLS only works on readonly permissions. If user has edit permission, RLS filter effect will be disabled.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Yes, I know...

So my question is - is there any way to apply permissions for report BUILDERS?

Hi @GTS_ONE ,

If you are works with SSAS datasource, you can consider to add RLS on database side, it should works on edit permissions. Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular model

In addition, you can design this report in one workspace with test datasource. Then you can download and save that file as template, change datasource and publish to another workspace with RLS and readonly permission.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors