Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can we change to a managed service account in a Power BI data gateway?

Dear community,

We have set up a data gateway linking an SQL database on an on-premise server to a Power BI cloud app. This allows us to schedule daily updates and provide users anywhere with the latest data. 

However, currently, I have used my own domain user account to set up this data gateway. We would like to change this user account for a managed service account to remove the dependency on the password of my account (which might change regularly).

Power BI documentation says this should be possible: 

Spoiler
The default account for this service is NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService. Change this account to a domain user account within your Windows Server Active Directory domain, or use a managed service account to avoid having to change the password.

We could so far not figure out any way to leave the password field empty. Is this possible through below data gateway UI?

autoneurino_1-1631794740279.png

I have found some additional tips that might point me in the right direction in this forum: 

"Update the service name to the value for the gMSA you wish to use and click OK. When using a Managed Service Account, remember to append a $ to the account name and leave the password value blank."

Appending a '$' sign to the end of the service account and leaving the password empty in the above figure has not led to successfully changing to the service account either.

Below is a way to change the log-on method through the windows 'services' application which was also not successful.

autoneurino_2-1631795512509.png

What is your experience with setting up a managed service account in a Power BI data gateway? Is it possible to use a service account without a password?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Kevin

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

no it's not possible to leave the pwd empty.

Ask your Active Directory Administrator to provide you with technical service account that is integrated in your AD.

Then you or the AD Admin can enter the pwd for this account.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors