Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trevorgermain
Advocate I
Advocate I

How can we automate the install of Gateway using command line or powershell?

There doesn't appear to be a way for our DevOps team to control the automated install of the Gateway. I've tried command line, attempted using the common /? and -h switches to get command line args list.

This is a requirement from an enterprise perspective. How do we automate the Gateway install?

5 REPLIES 5

@trevorgermainThis thread seems to be what you are looking for.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Actually, that thread has to do with configuring and using Gateways via the REST Api. It doesn't address actually installing and configuring the .exe on the Windows' Server.

Our DevOps team are going to want to run a powershell or command line version of the gateway installer, including setting paths, recovery passwords, etc. in an automated way.

Hi @trevorgermain,

As I tested, you can start the gateway exe using powershell and install it. But you need to configure it(account permisson and connect it to power bi service) if you want to use, which is related to the design of gateway. And there no clear document to describe the structure of gateway. You can create a support ticket to consult here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

You were able to install the gateway using PowerShell with no UI prompts? How did you do that? What exact command did you do?

@trevorgermain 

We were able to run the following script to install the Gateway. However, I think I am after similar information as you. This script fetches the .exe and installs the Gateway. In the case, where a Gateway is already installed, we can re-execute the script but it would run an update. At this point, a wizard shows up and we have to click through for the update. I'm looking for a way to "force" through the wizard for updates going forward (for lack of better term). I'm curious whether anyone has been able to accomplish this?

$power_bi_gate_install_url ="https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/A/1/DA1FDDB8-6DA8-4F50-B4D0-18019591E182/GatewayInstall.ex..."
$power_bi_gate_download_path="$PSScriptRoot\GatewayInstall.exe"

#Installing Power BI Gateway
Write-Output "Installing Power BI GateWay =" $power_bi_gate_install_url
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $power_bi_gate_install_url -OutFile $power_bi_gate_download_path
Write-Output "Initiating Install for Power BI Gtwy"
Start-Process -filepath $power_bi_gate_download_path -ArgumentList "/qb /norestart" -Wait

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors