Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Souheyl11
Frequent Visitor

How can I replicate the changes made in Excel automatically into my Power BI report?

Hi

I've a PBI report feeded by an Excel datasource, however, every single change I make in my Excel datasource, is not populated into my PBI report, even after having hit the refresh button ! How can I do to automate the refresh accordingly ?

I hope you can help with that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Souheyl11

From your screenshot, it seems your file stored on "onedrive" which means you file is stored online?

If so, you don't need to add the data source to the gateway, just go to dataset->setting->schedule refresh->edit credential.

Or if it is actually in your local drive, please ensure you enter the right file path and windows name and password.

to make sure you use the right file path, please right-click on the excel file, then select "properties", in "General" part would see location of this file.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Souheyl11

Where is the excel stored?

local or cloud?

If it is stored locally, please  install and configure a on-premises gateway, then add datasource to the gateway, then configure schedule refresh.

Refreshing Power BI reports based off Excel data using the On-premises data gateway

if it is stored in OneDrive or Sharepoint, please see the reference

Refresh a dataset stored on OneDrive or SharePoint Online

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft

I followed-up the different steps and got stuck into the manage gateways menu, trying to add a datasource...

Untitled.png

Hi @Souheyl11

Could you click on "show details" and make a screenshot over it , then send to me for better analysis?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft

Any updates ?

Hi @Souheyl11

Does it works now?

How can i help you further?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft

Yes- it's partially OK- because I cannot get my data refreshed into PBI without first refreshing my tables into Excel, is there any way to refresh my excel pivot tables (included in my datasource file) directly in PBI without the Excel refresh action first?

Thanks

Hi

Based on my understanding, your excel pivot table connect to the datasource, then you import the excel pivot table to power bi, finally, you want to refresh  from power bi with the datasource refresh, right?

If so, it is likely possible to refresh from power bi directly.

You could connect to the datasource using Gateway, then configure the schedule refresh with power bi service.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-excel-file-local-drive

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft

Here you go,

Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Hi @Souheyl11

From your screenshot, it seems your file stored on "onedrive" which means you file is stored online?

If so, you don't need to add the data source to the gateway, just go to dataset->setting->schedule refresh->edit credential.

Or if it is actually in your local drive, please ensure you enter the right file path and windows name and password.

to make sure you use the right file path, please right-click on the excel file, then select "properties", in "General" part would see location of this file.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors