Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

agwalsh1812
Helper I
Helper I

How can I link Publish to Service to a different account

I have two PowerBI service accounts set up - one is my own and the other is a developer domain. I want to be able to publish content to the Developer domain but every time I go to Publish to Service - it offers up my own domain name and I can't see how to change it to publish to the service. Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
agwalsh1812
Helper I
Helper I

This is really helpful. I did the first part - added myself as a guest user to developer domain and set this to admin status.  However when I go back into my PowerBI Desktop and go to Publish to Service it is still just showing me the workspaces from my own domain - not the Developer. I know I have a workaround by using pulling in the content within PowerBI service but am still curious to know 🙂 Thank you. 

Hey @agwalsh1812,

In order to publish your pbix to a different tenant, you will have to "Sign in with a different account" in Power BI Desktop and then type in the qualified user name of the account you have in the other domain. Once the login is successful, you will be prompted with the list of available workspaces from the other domain when you try to publish the pbix.

For a demo of the process please refer to a video from Guy in a Cube: Publish from Power BI Desktop for External Users - YouTube

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agwalsh1812 ,

If the two Power BI Service accounts belong to two different domain, you need to add your account as a guest user for the developer domain, then the developer domain account add you with right role in the workspace access and configure "allow you to edit the content in the workspace" in the Power BI Admin Center Portal.

In addition to this, you also need correct license.

Then, you could publish your report to the workspace that belongs to developer domain.

For more details, you can read related document: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn , Export and sharing admin settings - Power BI | Microsoft Learn , Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Azure Active Directory B2B - Power BI | Mi...

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors