Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MbProg
Helper II
Helper II

How can I export data from Power BI Service to Power BI Desktop

Here http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/view-dataset-content/m-p/13277#M4733 smouphre says that we are able to export our data from Power BI Service to Power BI Desktop. How can I do that?

4 REPLIES 4
suryaprakashred
Regular Visitor

HI @MbProg

right now you can only import data from power bi desktop to power bi service.But there is no way to achieve other way around.Moreover why do you require it,because you are already generating reports on top of the data you have after which you are exporting to power bi service.So why do you require the opposite way around if you already have the data???

thanks and regards,

k.surya

@suryaprakashred The reason why I am need that is the following: I am using Power BI API to create a dataset and insert and delete rows in live time. After inserting tons of data I would like to see the raw data in tables like I was able in Power BI Desktop. Of course I could create a table visualization, but it is not as good as the tables are in Power BI Dektop. And in Power BI Service you don't have this view in the raw data that you have in Power BI Desktop. That's the reason I would like too see this new data in Power BI Dektop. And @smouphre says that this is a possible?!

Hi @MbProg,

Based on smouphre’s response in this thread, he suggests to import data from original source rather than Power BI Service into Power BI Desktop and then use the data view feature.

Currently, it is not possible to export data from Power BI Service to Power BI Desktop or view the data in the dataset as a table view, if you concern about this feature, you can submit your idea on the Power BI Idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MbProg I think you misunderstood. Currently it is not possible to export data from service to desktop. The only option I can think is called Analyze in Excel that lets you connect live to your published dataset in clound and use Pivot Table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors