Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

albatross19
Frequent Visitor

How can I connect my On-Premise Gateway to a Shared folder?

There are several files that I need to add as datasources to an On-Premise Gateway which are located in a Shared folder, when I copy the path of one of the files and try to add it to the Gateway I get the following error:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."

The path starts with "\\H:\". When I changed the "H:" for the actual name of the server it still throwing me the same error. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @albatross19 

Has the problem been solved? If so, kindly accept the proper reply as the solution or post your own solution. This will help others a lot.

If not, please refer to below similar topics.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Data-source-for-network-drive-using-on-premises-gateway...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Scheduled-refresh-for-excel-file-with-on-premise-gatewa...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/My-source-is-now-in-shared-folder-which-gateway-can-create/...

Kindly let me know if this helps.
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @albatross19 

I could not find anything already in a blog post.

Make sure when connecting to the data source you use the same UNC Path \\ShareName\Folder\FileName.xlsx

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @albatross19 

What you will need to do is to create a Share to the folder, and then see if you can connect from your Gateway Server to this Shared folder?

Make sure that the Power BI Service account has got the right permissions to read from the shared folder.

Also when creating the data source in the Power BI Service it should use the same share folder name. EG: \\MyShare\FolderName

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the guidance! It seems that I will need to involve IT for this process since I dont have Admin rights.

Do you know if there is website that describes the How To of the process step by step so I can properly guide them?

Thanks!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors