Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How are Comments managed on Power BI Service

Hello Community!

Does anyone know how are the comments being stored for a specific report/chart on Power BI service?

If the report is republished do I lose the comments?

If the comments are on a specific chart, and I republish the report without that chart ( or changed from type of chart ) what will happen to the existing comments?

Thank you

Regards,

LS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,
Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The comments won’t disappear if you republish the report, but if the comments added on specific chart , once the chart removed, the comment lost as well.

I have no idea about how the comments stored in service, if you’d like to acknowledge the stored place that can be retrieved, analyzed and have NLP applied to identity trends, it’s preferred to raise the your idea in the portal: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

More details about comments feature, please refer to the official blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-report-commenting-for-power-bi-service-and-mobile/

Best regards,

Dina Ye

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dina,

Basically I am trying to understand what causes the comments to be lost forever since with time they can become a valuable asset for the business.

Example: does a change of chart type makes it to lose the comments too?
Does changes in the data model (import or direct query) cause the lost too?

I think this detailing should be reflect on the power bi documentation (if it is I haven’t found it).

Thank you 🙏

Hi @Anonymous ,

I didn't find any documents about this point, either. but based on my test, I think it should stay along with the data which specified on the visual. if we replace the clustered bar chart  by stacked chart, the comment added in the clustered bar chart still exist. Also, if we change the connection mode, it won't affect the data in the visual, the comment exist still. but if we remove the visual, the relationship between data and the visual  (including the comment) was cut down, the comment would disappear. that means visual seems a carrier for comment.

Best regards,

Dina Ye

quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,
Dina Ye

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors