Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Do I Filter Multiple Values via copy/paste

Hi all,

I hope you can help me out.

In have scenario where my users would like to filter a column based on a copied list of values. For example a column from an excel file or a comma separated list. This would be handy when one wants to filter (for example) 200 numbers out of 100k records.

Manually checking values in a slicer is unworkable but I cannot figure out a better way with power bi desktop and service.

Any idea's to solve this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Please vote these two ideas: search-my-filter-values-in-a-dashboard and multiple-value-custom-list-filter.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
PowerBiRajah
Frequent Visitor

TL;DR version: There is an app source visual called "Mass Filter (App Source) ". This does exactly what is needed. Copy and paste a list of values separated by commas or new-lines.

And a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nKYTFTA1h4&feature=youtu.be

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks @PowerBiRajah !! This looks like the old Filter by List, but renamed. Thanks for sharing this.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If you're still looking for this feature. I've found this custom visual slicer that provides this functionality. It does work. The limitation is that it cannot be synced across tabs, but it still comes in handy.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381413?tab=Overview

If this addresses your need, please consider marking this as a solution. Thanks.

Sorry. The Link is not working anymore. Please can you provide me the lastet version? Thank you very much

Hi @Shelley 

This exactly resolved what workaround I'm looking for, thank you so much!

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@juchen Great! Glad it helped you. Thanks for the feedback.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Import the copied list of values. This step could be easy. Here the table is "FilterValues".

2.1 As a measure.

IfIn =
IF ( MIN ( 'Calender'[Date] ) IN VALUES ( 'FilterValues'[Dates] ), 1, 0 )

2.2 As a Calculated Column.

Column =
IF ( 'Calender'[Date] IN VALUES ( FilterValues[Dates] ), 1, 0 )

3. Create a visual and filter the result.

How Do I Filter Multiple Values via copypaste.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your reply!

I like your answer and maybe use it someday. In this case however, it doesn't solve the problem. The list of values cannot be imported because it could be any value of a(ny) column based on what the end user wants to filter. The report and definitions stay the same.

Example. The power bi report contains a list of customer analysis and details. A filter on Customer ID is added so the user can filter on a range or selected values. The user gets a request from a colleage with has a list of, lets say, 100 customer id's that need special attention. He/she wants to use this list and pastes it into the power bi report filter so the report filters down to these 100 customers. The next day, a different set of customer id's will be needed to filter. This can happen multiple times per day for multiple users.

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

I have no idea about your actual model. So just some discussions here.

As you said in your first post, the column could be from a Excel file or a csv file. Import it, use it, finally delete the new table. Do these steps in the next searching.

There are still some other ways.

1. Paste the values in the Desktop directly. A new table will be created. You can delete it later.How Do I Filter Multiple Values via copypaste1.jpg

2. If you can organize the values like this, you can paste it in the formula directly.  {"value1", "value2", "value3"}

IfIn =
IF ( MIN ( 'Calender'[Date] ) IN { "value1", "value2", "value3" }, 1, 0 )

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the Idea, but this function is not available in the power bi service. This would work for developers, but not for end users.

Hi @Anonymous,

Please vote these two ideas: search-my-filter-values-in-a-dashboard and multiple-value-custom-list-filter.

Best Regards!

Dale

Voted. Thanks for the links. Qlik has this. PowerBi should have had these features years ago!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, done!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors