Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Dataset will get refreshed with a linked dataflow

I have a dataflow created which refresh every hour and created multiple linked dataflows but not scheduled to refresh as linked dataflows will get updated when main dataflow refresh i also see updated data in the flow , but the dataset refering to the linked dataflow is not getting updated after refresh. Not sure where am miss

7 REPLIES 7
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The default refresh logic for linked entities depends on whether the source data stream is in the same Power BI workspace as the target data stream.

vhenrykmstf_0-1628839855934.png

Based on the above-mentioned different situations, test again to observe whether it can be refreshed normally.

Here is the related document link:

Link entities between dataflows | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and related steps screenshoots. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-henryk-mstf  , Yes i have the source and linked dataflow in the same workspace and i could see the linked dataflow is also getting updated when the source dataflow is getting refreshed. 

But my problem is , when am using the linked dataflow as a source to a dataset, that dataset is not getting updated whenever i refresh it(Enabled load).

My question is why the dataset using linked dataflow is not getting updated after refresh though the linked dataflow is upto date. But when i try to refresh the linked dataflow and then refresh the dataset it is getting updated. The problem is linked dataflow need not be scheduled as we get updates from source dataflow but without refresing the linked dataflow why the dataset is not getting updated ?

Dataflow refreshes don't cascade to datasets.  A dataset could use multiple dataflows, if each dataflow initiated a dataset refresh, the dataset would refresh multiple times.

You'll have to scheduled dataset refreshes, or to orcastrate dataflow and dataset refreshes, you could consider using Power Automate: Trigger Dataflows and Power BI Datasets Sequentially

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Linked dataflows only cascade refresh when within the same Workspace, and those Linked Table have Enabled Load checked.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Dataset will not refresh automatically, you have to schedule it for refresh.

You should schedule it giving some buffer time after you primary dataflow's refresh complete.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i refreshed the dataset , still linked dataflow updates are not available

Anonymous
Not applicable

I refresh main dataflow and dataset the intermediate linked dataflow is not scheduled for refresh as its understood when the main dataflow updates that will come to the linked dataflow . in this case i see the latest data avilable in linked dataflow but when i refresh the dataset refering to linked dataflow those are not getting updated is the problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors