Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ryan_Jabjiniak
Frequent Visitor

How Bookmarks are treated in Usage Report Metrics?

I'm looking for clarity on the impact Bookmarks have (users clicking through their various saved Bookmarks) on the usage metrics of 'Report Opens' and 'Total page views'.  

Scenario:

• I have a report with 4 pages, and noticed some of my users have high counts of Report Opens and zero Total Page Views (ie - 124 Opens & 0 Page views; or 77 Opens & 3 Page views).  
  • I know these users also enjoy the Bookmark feature, and I haven't been able to definitively point to documentation that calls out how users clicking their Bookmarks gets reflected in the metrics for Opens & Page views. 

Since my organization recently implemented Power BI, I'm looking to show the best usage metrics, as well as be prepared to explain disparities in the statistics.
Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Ryan_Jabjiniak ;

you could refer this blog:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-improved-report-usage-metrics-in-modern-workspac...

Comparing the old and new usage metrics report, you will find that the Report usage pages both show unique viewers and ranking. However, it is important to call out that the measures—and therefore the displayed results—are fundamentally different between old and new. This is because the old and new usage metrics use different definitions and methods to track report usage. The old usage metrics report relied on client-side instrumentation and tracked every report page transition as a separate report view. The new usage metrics report relies on the ViewReport activity event in the Power BI service to count report views. The new usage metrics report tracks page views separately. Accordingly, the report view count is typically smaller in the new usage report. If you want to see which report pages your users work with the most, then on the Report usage page, click on Pages in the lower right area. The following diagram illustrates the difference between report views and page views in the new and improved usage metrics report.

so I think bookmarks may not be the root cause.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

You answer to have no basis, need again textual examination.

Attaching screenshot of two usage reports (each for 1 week time periods).
It is odd to me that a user has so many Report Opens, and very few (or zero) page views.  I suspect that this is due to the user utilizing Bookmarks.  That is what I am seeking to validate -- how does clicking on Bookmarks impact the usage statistics?  
-- For what it's worth, I've also notice that this "Top User - Bookmarks" is also a heavy Mobile consumer (not app.PowerBI.com).  Not sure if this plays a role or not?

PBI Opens - no views.jpg

hi, @Ryan_Jabjiniak ;

you could refer this blog:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-improved-report-usage-metrics-in-modern-workspac...

Comparing the old and new usage metrics report, you will find that the Report usage pages both show unique viewers and ranking. However, it is important to call out that the measures—and therefore the displayed results—are fundamentally different between old and new. This is because the old and new usage metrics use different definitions and methods to track report usage. The old usage metrics report relied on client-side instrumentation and tracked every report page transition as a separate report view. The new usage metrics report relies on the ViewReport activity event in the Power BI service to count report views. The new usage metrics report tracks page views separately. Accordingly, the report view count is typically smaller in the new usage report. If you want to see which report pages your users work with the most, then on the Report usage page, click on Pages in the lower right area. The following diagram illustrates the difference between report views and page views in the new and improved usage metrics report.

so I think bookmarks may not be the root cause.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Yalan.  
Reviewing that blog was my first go-to, but didn't see anything related to bookmarks, so that was the reason for my post.  
I met with the user described above, and found out that he was using the downloaded version of Power BI to consume reports (not Power BI Service).  Also discovered that this registers as "Mobile" report consumption, as it's not powerbi.com 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors