Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ybam
Helper I
Helper I

How Bind to Gateway in group request works ?

Hi, 

I'm trying to understand how the Bind to Gateway in group request works.
Indeed I used it to connect the dataset of my power bi to a gateway containing several datasources.

I gave the 2 ids of my datasources.

What I do not understand is the mapping which is just between the databases present in the PBI dataset and the selected datasources.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ybam 

When we refresh dataset in Service , we need a gateway .So how to manage datasource in Gateway in Service and map the datasource to the dataset become vital . We will explain your question in two parts based on the fact that the gateway is already running normally .

(1)Add datasource in gateway in Service . If we want to get data in Service from local data source , we need to configure a standard gateway and enter the credentials for the local data source to make sure we can access the data successfully . The step of entering credentials of the data source is adding datasource in gateway .Specific operations can refer to the link below .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

(2)Map the datasource to the dataset . We have configured the datasource in gateway , that means we can access the data from local data sources , but due to the multiple datasets and data sources , Service how to refresh accurately ? In this case, we have to manually match the dataset and data source, which is the mapping you mentioned. As the picture shows :

Ailsamsft_0-1632723617569.png

After finishing the above series of operations, we will set up a scheduled refresh to ensure that the data set is automatically updated in a planned manner .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ybam 

When we refresh dataset in Service , we need a gateway .So how to manage datasource in Gateway in Service and map the datasource to the dataset become vital . We will explain your question in two parts based on the fact that the gateway is already running normally .

(1)Add datasource in gateway in Service . If we want to get data in Service from local data source , we need to configure a standard gateway and enter the credentials for the local data source to make sure we can access the data successfully . The step of entering credentials of the data source is adding datasource in gateway .Specific operations can refer to the link below .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

(2)Map the datasource to the dataset . We have configured the datasource in gateway , that means we can access the data from local data sources , but due to the multiple datasets and data sources , Service how to refresh accurately ? In this case, we have to manually match the dataset and data source, which is the mapping you mentioned. As the picture shows :

Ailsamsft_0-1632723617569.png

After finishing the above series of operations, we will set up a scheduled refresh to ensure that the data set is automatically updated in a planned manner .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Data sources will be matched between dataset and gateway based on the connection string . Warning: This is case sensitive

Not sure what specifying the data sources is trying to achieve for this call.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors