Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bjnodello
Helper II
Helper II

Horizontal slicer with DATES displaying as vertical

I have a horizontal slicer that initially displays as vertical.  As soon as you interact with the slicer (or any other slicer on the report) it reverts to horizontal again.  The values in the slicer are Dates.  I have 2 other identical slicers (values are text) that are functioning correctly.  This is a new behavior as it functioned properly until recently.  It could be coincidence, but noticed it the same time I noticed the Between, Before, After, List options on the slicer with date values.  Issue exists in Chrome and Explorer 11, I haven't tried others.  I tried deleting and recreating the slicer and the issue still exists.  Any ideas? Images below.

EDIT: The issue is in the Power BI service, not Power BI Desktop.  I have seen it in all of my reports published with slicers that have date values. As a workaround I have a date column as text, but this is not ideal. 

Thanks,

Brett

Starts like this...

slicer error 1.PNG

Select a value and it changes to this...

slicer error 2.PNG

New options on the slicer with dates...related?

slicer error 3.PNG

Slicer settings...

slicer error 4.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
bjnodello
Helper II
Helper II

@v-yuezhe-msft.  Quick Update: I republished the report with the October 2016 Power BI Desktop release and the issue appears to have been fixed.  My slicers with date values remain horizontal.

View solution in original post

The fix for this issue should be available on 1/16/2017.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
bjnodello
Helper II
Helper II

@v-yuezhe-msft.  Quick Update: I republished the report with the October 2016 Power BI Desktop release and the issue appears to have been fixed.  My slicers with date values remain horizontal.

Hi @bjnodello

Are you a free user or pro user in Power BI? I can now reproduce your issue using a Power BI free account even if I publish the report with the October 2016 Power BI Desktop release.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft I have a Pro license.

The fix for this issue should be available on 1/16/2017.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi @bjnodello,

Based on my test, the issue only exists for free user. Glad to hear that you have solved the issue in your scenario.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
bjnodello
Helper II
Helper II

New project created from scratch...

Horizontal orientation in Power BI DesktopHorizontal orientation in Power BI DesktopVertical orientation in power bi serviceVertical orientation in power bi service

Hi @bjnodello,

I note that you edit your question.

In Power BI Desktop, you set the orientation of the date slicer to Horizontal, everything works ok. However, when you publish PBIX file to Power BI Service and select value in the date slicer or click refresh in browser , the date slicer changes to vertical  orientation, right? If so, I am not able to reproduce your issue in Chrome and IE11 , please check the following screenshots, and you can check my PBIX file.

In Power BI Desktop:
1.PNG

After Publish the PBIX file to Power BI service and selecting a value in the slicer or clicking refresh in browser:
2.PNG

Would you mind sharing me your PBIX file? I will test it in my Desktop and Service. By the way, I am using the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.39.4526.362 64-bit)

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft,

The scenario you mentioned is almost correct.

1. I create the slicer with dates in Desktop Power BI with horizontal orientation

2. I save and publish to app.powerbi.com

3. I follow the link to the report, initially the slicer is horizontal

4. Refresh the browser and the slicer goes vertical

5. Selecting any filter on the report changes the slicer back to the horizontal orientation

I published your pbix and here is what it looks like after refreshing the browser.  The only change I made was removing the filter selection before posting. 

dateerror1.PNG

I can also confirm that the issue exists in Edge browser.

My version of Power BI Desktop appears to match yours.

pbiversion.PNG

Here is my file PBIX.

Thanks again!

Brett

I downloaded a new version of Power BI desktop to a second PC I have, published a new pbix file with a date in the slicer and see the same behavior.  Others that I have shared my reports with experience the same issue.

Hi @bjnodello

I am not able to reproduce your issue using the PBIX file you provided. I will report your issue internally and post back once I get any updates.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft.  Another developer I work with published the PBIX file I provided above and sees the same behavior I do.  Refreshing the browser causes the slicer to go vertical.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bjnodello,

How do you firstly set the Orientation of Date slicer ? Vertical or Horizontal? Based on your description and screenshots, you set the Orientation of Date slicer to vertical, when you select a value in the slicer, the slicer will display as Horizontal, right? If that is the case, I am not able to reproduce this issue.

However, based on my test, when I firstly set the Orientation of Date slicer to Horizontal, when I select a value in the slicer, it will still be Horizontal. But if I change the option from List to other options such as Between and select a value, I note that the Orientation of Date slicer is automatically changed from Horizontal to Vertical. And when I change the option back  to List, the Date slicer will display as Vertical. For more details, please check the following screenshots.

1.PNG2.PNG3.png

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft.  If you look at the screenshot of my slicer settings you can see that I have the orientation set to "Horizonal".  At no time am I selecting any of the options, whent the page loads it is in the vertical orientation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors