Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnilShah
Advocate I
Advocate I

Highlighing datapoints based on user login in PowerBI Embedded

Hi,

We are trying to accomplish the following in PowerBI Embedded and would appreciate suggestions -

Requirement -  Our client collects data from different customers. Then they put that data into a chart and publish it on their website through PowerBI Embedded. Users from different customers have to login to the website to look at PowerBI Embedded chart. When looking at the chart, only the data point for that user's organization should be labelled/highlighted. This way, while the user can see where they stand when compared to other customers, since the data points are not labelled, the user cannot see details about the data. 

Hence there is no data filtering (no RLS etc), but only data highlighting based on logged in user. 

Approach - We feel that this can be accomplished through chart layering? The first chart is a 'global chart' which shows all the data points without highlighting/labeling anything. The second chart is layered on top of it, but it is a filtered chart based on logged in user.

Question -

We are testing the above approach, but wondering if there is a better approach to accomplish this?

Many Thanks.

Anil

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AnilShah,

As far as I know, there isn't an easier way to do this currently. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi,

So this approach did not work. 

At this point, we don't seem to have good options to 'highlight' data based on loggedin user's organization. 

If you have any additional suggestions, please let us know!

Warm Regards,
Anil

OK. Many Thanks. 

Our BI Developer is testing this approach today and I will provide feedback once I get an update .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors