Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pwillinger
Frequent Visitor

High Memory usage in on-premise gateway server

All -

Hoping you can help, we have lately experienced high memory usage in our on-premise gateway server to the point that scheduled refreshes fail for datasets, (timeout errors).  As a work around, we restart the gateway service nightly which seems to help some.  The memory usage is related to the number of Mashup.Containers running.  For example, after a service restart and at the start of the work day we'd have around a dozen or so of these Mashup.Containers running but by the end of the work day we have 100+ Mashup.Containers running, I've counted.  The server is running 8 GBs of CPU and 16 GBs of RAM.  We can add more memory but I fear that with the continual spawning of these Mashup.Containers the added memory would be over run.  Are we missing a configuration setting to reuse Mashup.Containers or other configuration?

We are running the September 2020 version of the On-Premise Gateway

TIA

patw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @pwillinger ,

There is a newer gateway (On-premises data gateway February 2021 update is now available | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft...)  I would first try to install that one and see if the world magically glows brightly and refreshes quickly!  Let us know if that resolves it.  If not, it gets a bit harder to start trying to figure out where the issue(s) may lie.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pwillinger
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for not responding sooner, the March PowerBI Gateway did the trick.  No more multiplying Mashup.Containers running and no need to nightly restart the Gateway service.

patw

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @pwillinger ,

There is a newer gateway (On-premises data gateway February 2021 update is now available | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft...)  I would first try to install that one and see if the world magically glows brightly and refreshes quickly!  Let us know if that resolves it.  If not, it gets a bit harder to start trying to figure out where the issue(s) may lie.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you collinq.  I thought I previously answered but no Reply appearing.   Downloaded the February gateway install and will schedule an update, as this is prod.  I was waiting on something newer than the Dec 2020 version.   Hoping that a little magic fairy dust and rainbows will resolve.

Along this same note, what do you know/comment about...

MashupDefaultPoolContainerMaxCount

MashupDQPoolContainerMaxCount

...found in a search at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-performance-cpu

patw

Hi @pwillinger ,

I found this thread where @GilbertQ presented a quick blog post - Solved: Microsoft Mashup Container Evaluation - Microsoft Power BI Community    I also found this article that has areference to what they do but I think it links back to the article that you mentioned 🙂  Power BI Performance Tuning Workflow - Part 2 - Microsoft Industry Blogs - United Kingdom

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors