Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

louisvp
Helper II
Helper II

High CPU usage Using Datflows in Power BI Desktop

Dear Community,

I was very happy to investigate how Dataflows are working.

Unfortunately with a Pro License (instead of a Premium License) I am not able to Combine Tables in the Dataflow of Power BI Service.

Therefor I connect to Dataflows in Power BI Desktop and merging tables in Power BI Power Query.

When I do this, Power Query is using very much CPU and my laptop becomes very slow.

It seems that Power Query is constantly connecting the online Dataflow.

I Already disabled 'Background data - Allow dat preview to download in the background' and 'Parralel loading of tables- Enable parralel loading of tables' in the option of Power BI Desktop.

My questions is : What do I need to do to avoid High CPU usage in Power BI Power Query?

Do I need to start using 'Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2'? Or do I need to start using a 'Common Data Model'?

Or do I need to subscribe to a Power BI Premium License (very expensive)?

Or is there an other way to combine tables 'In the cloud' so that Power BI Desktop Power Query is working much faster with low CPU usage?

I hope someone in this Power BI Community is able to give me a good advise!

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Louis van Paassen

Agium Finance and Control

The Netherlands

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @louisvp ,

Please take a look at following link to buffer functions to package advanced operations, they can reduce the spend of system resources on looping calculation:

Speeding up power query (Table.Buffer?)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @louisvp ,

I think high CPU usage should more related to your custom merge steps, you can try to remove merge steps to confirm if this issue disappears.

Creating and using dataflows in Power BI

>>Or do I need to subscribe to a Power BI Premium License (very expensive)?

In fact, Premium license not works on power bi desktop client, it is works on power bi service and provide premium capacity to allow you to do share and embed operations.

What is Power BI Premium?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Dear Xiaoxin Sheng,

Thank you for your response.

In this post I have written some extra information

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Very-slow-WABI-west-EUROPE-d-primairy-redirect-analysis...

Could you please advise me what to do to forecome the CPU is going soo high when resfreshing my data in Power BI Desktop?

Thanks

Louis van Paassen

Dear Xiaoxin Sheng,

In you previous reply you asked met to remove merge steps. When I do this the refreshing goes very fast.

But when I don't merge tables I am not able to create a model in Power BI.

What is you alternative for merging tables ?

Kind regards Louis  

HI @louisvp ,

Please take a look at following link to buffer functions to package advanced operations, they can reduce the spend of system resources on looping calculation:

Speeding up power query (Table.Buffer?)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors