Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbix
Helper III
Helper III

Hiding datasets in Power BI service?

Hi All,

Is it possible to share content packs/reports/dashboards without sharing underlying datasets? E.g. just publish reports and dashboards and leaving the dataset invisible to the end-user?

Appreciate that Power BI is all about developing self-service, but we have some underlying data that we would prefer not to expose to customers from SSAS in case they misinterpret/mis-use etc.

Thanks!

Pbix

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@pbix

In Power BI Service, if you create a content pack, the underlying dataset will be shared to users. This is the default behavior. But you don't need to worry about the misinterrupt on the dataset, because the users can't edit the source dataset. They can only "MAKE A COPY" of the dataset to edit.

55.PNG

To aviod sharing underlying dataset, you can directly share dashboard or share the "publish to web" link of reports to users. For more details, see: How should I share dashboards, reports, and tiles?

Regards,

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

I thought that was the default behaviour.  

If you share a report with me, I can see the report but I don't see the dataset, nor can I create new reports from your dataset.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors