Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiding Dataset from end users?

I'm very confused by the framework MS has provided.

I have a Pro License and an App Workspace with Premium licensing applied to it. I need to distribute a report in my organization, but I do not want end users to be able to view or download the dataset at all. I see no options for this... either by publishing an app or by adding users to the workspace.

Is my only option to cobble together a dashboard from a multi tab report and share it? Or set up everything as direct query?

Please tell me I am missing some secret setting to restrict access to datasets in apps and app workspaces.

I kmow I can hide columns in a report, but this does nothing to the dataset... right?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

From your understanding if you let the users get access to the data via an App, they will not be able to view the underlying dataset. Because when they view it from an App it is Read-Only and they can only see the Dashboards and Reports.

When you say they access the dataset how would they do this if they got the report via an App?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

From your understanding if you let the users get access to the data via an App, they will not be able to view the underlying dataset. Because when they view it from an App it is Read-Only and they can only see the Dashboards and Reports.

When you say they access the dataset how would they do this if they got the report via an App?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi guys, 

not sure, how was this achieved? is it through workspace access control or is there other way to achieve this? I want to give our users contibutor rights but hide/do not allow download of the dataset, is that possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors