Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

martaredondo
Helper II
Helper II

Hide/Filter dahsboard/report in workspace for some users

Hi all,

I currently have a problem regarding access in Power BI workspaces. I would like to restrict access inside the workspace, and I know I can do this by apllying RLS, but this only works at report-level, meaning that if I have dashboards based in the report the roles will not be applied and people that aren't supposed to see some info will see it in the dahsboard anyways.. Moreover, I can't disable access to a particular report for a particular user, meaning that everybody in the workspace will be able to see all reports even if it is not supposed to happen...

Do you have any suggestion how to deal with this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Marta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@martaredondo Yes, that is exactly right. You shouldn't need to publish a report to multiple places. You should share it 1x, ideally to a Azure AD Group (of the business unit) so all those people could consume the report. Sharing an App is a great way to do that. I can understand having a workspace for each BU, but only for users of that BU to be enabled to create reports, not for end users to consume them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@martaredondo Is there a reason you aren't leveraging sharing of an App or Dashboard vs. adding these users to the workspace? Ideally the workspace should only contain people that are actively building them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer !

The structure in my company was like this, having differente workspaces for each department, however it is very hard to manage all workspaces effectively since I have to publish the same report different times and then I have the dahsboard problem when people in the same workspace have different permissions. I belive the what you suggested is basically having a production area, applying RLS in the reports and then sharing it (and the dashboard too), right? That is actually a good idea! I'll try it and thanks a lot 🙂

@martaredondo Yes, that is exactly right. You shouldn't need to publish a report to multiple places. You should share it 1x, ideally to a Azure AD Group (of the business unit) so all those people could consume the report. Sharing an App is a great way to do that. I can understand having a workspace for each BU, but only for users of that BU to be enabled to create reports, not for end users to consume them.

Thanks a lot for the insights! You've help a lot 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors