Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fredweston

Help with hosted licensing requirements

Apologies in advance as I am sure this question has probably been asked and answered, but I am having trouble finding examples that match my use case.

My org uses a SaaS project management service which does not have very robust reporting capabilities, but it offers a data warehouse solution that allows us to export all of the data so we can report on it using an 3rd party BI tool.

The SaaS service provides us with a daily dump of data that we want to bring into Azure where we can report on it.  We would have 3 people building reports and another 3 people that need to have access to run the reports.

From what I have read, I believe the 3 people building reports would need pro licenses, as would the 3 people running reports.  So that's 6 pro licenses.  On top of that, I assume I need some sort of Azure SQL DB / storage to hold the data itself, and potentially some sort of consumption / capacity licensing for the actual reporting service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

In a perfect world, you could connect directly to the SaaS project management tool instead of exporting and loading but let's assume that's out of the question. It doesn't really affect the licensing situation anyway.

There are two ways that licensing works. Either everyone has a license (including builders and users) or else you buy a premium capacity license. The latter usually doesn't make sense for just a few people (though Premium Per User might).

So you're looking at 6 licenses. The Power BI Service is included with this, so you don't have extra consumption / capacity licensing beyond whatever you'd be paying for Azure SQL DB.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

In a perfect world, you could connect directly to the SaaS project management tool instead of exporting and loading but let's assume that's out of the question. It doesn't really affect the licensing situation anyway.

There are two ways that licensing works. Either everyone has a license (including builders and users) or else you buy a premium capacity license. The latter usually doesn't make sense for just a few people (though Premium Per User might).

So you're looking at 6 licenses. The Power BI Service is included with this, so you don't have extra consumption / capacity licensing beyond whatever you'd be paying for Azure SQL DB.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors