Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hrojas823
Regular Visitor

Help with apply roles on PBI Webside

Hi !

I need help with following topic.

Create a roles en PBI Designer, the idea of this roles is filter the dataset for every one data owner (the dataset contain information of several companies).

The roles works very well if testing on PBI Designer, but when make a join between the rol and user (mediante Microsoft 365 domain email) on PBI Webside, the data is not filtered and show then the 100% rows at 100% of the users.

I appreciate your comments.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @hrojas823 

Do you mean that roles can filter data well by applying rls rules on powerbi desktop, but when adding members to roles on powerbi services, the RLS rules don’t work, they can view all data,right?

If so,please check the permission of these user.In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access.

So  specific users can see all data, it's possible they're accessing reports directly in the workspace  if  they are the dataset owner.

RLS is only enforced when:

• The report is opened in an app.
  • The report is opened in a workspace, and the user is mapped to the Viewer role.

For more details,please refer ro these related document.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 

Row-level security (RLS) guidance in Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hrojas823 , Based on what I got. I saw an old discussion on the community. See if the solution of that discussion will help you

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Implementing-RLS-with-Office365-Groups-Vs-Azure-AD-Groups/t...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@hrojas823 Are you saying that you are adding people into the roles and then they are seeing everything? Sorry, trying to understand. What does your RLS rule look like?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, thanks for you help.

That's right, added people into the roles and they can view all rows.

RLS: every user is joined at determinate companie and each row (in relationals tables) contains the company to which it belongs.

@hrojas823 Can you post a screen shot of your RLS rules as well as your data model?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Sure, thanks.Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Hi , @hrojas823 

Do you mean that roles can filter data well by applying rls rules on powerbi desktop, but when adding members to roles on powerbi services, the RLS rules don’t work, they can view all data,right?

If so,please check the permission of these user.In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access.

So  specific users can see all data, it's possible they're accessing reports directly in the workspace  if  they are the dataset owner.

RLS is only enforced when:

• The report is opened in an app.
  • The report is opened in a workspace, and the user is mapped to the Viewer role.

For more details,please refer ro these related document.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 

Row-level security (RLS) guidance in Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors