Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shah36

Help with Power BI and SSRS

Sorry if my question is bit too basic or have already been answered.

In our organisation we are currently using Actuate as reporting tool, I have found out that vast majority of the end users don’t like Actuate for its lack of functionality and the ugly look and feel. I have suggested my organisation to move towards SSRS. In the mean time I had a chance to look at some of the reports developed within Power BI and it really amazed me.

I have found out through various posts that Power BI reports can now be uploaded to the report server.

I have few questions related to making these reports available to the end users.

1. Would I be able to setup the permissions for different department in reporting server along with Power BI reports (sorry if irrelevant here)
  2. If we decide to deploy a dedicated web app for the reports, would it be possible to embed both SSRS and Power BI reports in the same web app? Of course each report would be published on its own dedicated web page.

We have got SQL Server 2014 installed on Azure VM. I can request my organisation to upgrade to 2016 if required.

I would really appreciate your helpful replies.

Regards,

Ali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shah36,

Would I be able to setup the permissions for different department in reporting server along with Power BI reports
Yes. We can create a new folder and then move the Power BI report to this folder. Then you can set access permission for this folder for your users.

If we decide to deploy a dedicated web app for the reports, would it be possible to embed both SSRS and Power BI reports in the same web app? Of course each report would be published on its own dedicated web page.
Yes. We can use Iframe to embed power bi report to website page.
urIframe.Attributes.Add("src", "http://servername/Reports/powerbi/test/?rs:embed=true");

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shah36,

Would I be able to setup the permissions for different department in reporting server along with Power BI reports
Yes. We can create a new folder and then move the Power BI report to this folder. Then you can set access permission for this folder for your users.

If we decide to deploy a dedicated web app for the reports, would it be possible to embed both SSRS and Power BI reports in the same web app? Of course each report would be published on its own dedicated web page.
Yes. We can use Iframe to embed power bi report to website page.
urIframe.Attributes.Add("src", "http://servername/Reports/powerbi/test/?rs:embed=true");

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Fingers crossed as to whether the organisation decides to adopt the SSRS and the Power BI instead of Actuate. 

Regards,

Ali

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors