Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alisonpappas
Helper III
Helper III

Help with POWEr BI APP SHARING ADVICE NEEDED

Hi all,

I am trying to share a report with my coworkers we have a PREMIUM WORKSPACE. I have published an app and sent a link to my coworker. He does not have Power BI installed in his computer. When he clicks the link he gets sent to a Power BI log in page saying "have an account? log in." Is there any way to surpass the log in page? Is there a better way to share this report with him? When i share a report he needs a free license which i also know however i do not want to go through the struggle of retriving one. At my company we need multiple items of information that are hard to retrieve to get a free licese and i would perfer to not ask him to download the app.

I am asking for advice on how to share this report with this coworker so he can have acess to viewing, filtering, and exporting the data on the report without 1. a license 2. downloading power bi onto his computer and 3. publishing the report to the public? is there a way? if not, what is the best suggestion?

THank you!

Alison

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alisonpappas ,

If someone wants to see the contents in power bi, sigin in is inevitable, this is for the protection of user information.

If you are both in the same tenant, you can share the app with him directly; if you are in different tenants, you can add him as an guest user in your tenant and share the app with him, he can use your tenant URL to visit this app with a distributed free license automatically.

Find the tenant URL: click the "?" in the right upper corner of power bi service, choose 'About power bi'

tenant url.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alisonpappas ,

If someone wants to see the contents in power bi, sigin in is inevitable, this is for the protection of user information.

If you are both in the same tenant, you can share the app with him directly; if you are in different tenants, you can add him as an guest user in your tenant and share the app with him, he can use your tenant URL to visit this app with a distributed free license automatically.

Find the tenant URL: click the "?" in the right upper corner of power bi service, choose 'About power bi'

tenant url.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In order to log into the Power BI Service you have to log in so that you can be authenticated and they know who you are.

When sharing via an App that is on a Premium App Workspace, this user will be able to view the files once they have logged in.

As far as I know it should automatically assign the user a Free Power BI license when the user logs into an App on Power BI Premium App Workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

hi @GilbertQ 

To "log in" do they need to download the app onto their computer? Or do they need to create an account, and where do they go to do this? Or is it both?

Hi there

They just need to log into https://app.powerbi.com

And then they will be able to navigate to the app.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors