Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help to Navigate from Dashboard to Another

Hello!
I have some dashboards published in Power BI Service that are accessed by multiple users. In each of these dashboards, I placed an icon that, when clicked by the user, opens another dashboard. For example, in the Sales dashboard there is an icon that open the Operational Expenses dashboard.
It works correctly. The problem is that it always opens a new tab in the browser, and I would like everything to happen on the same tab. What should I do so that the entire visualization occurs in a single browser tab, to give the feeling that it is a website, instead of opening several tabs in the browser. Thank you!

Sorry for my English.

PS: navigation between the dashboard tabs occurs on the same tab as the browser. When I choose to go from dashbord A to dashboard B, it is opening a new tab in the browser, and I would like dashbaord B to be displayed on the same browser tab, and not on a new one

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous OK, first of all, you are using "dashboard" in a way that is utterly confusing. What you are referring to is called a "report" in Power BI. In Power BI "dashboard" is something completely different than what you are talking about. So we were speaking apples and oranges with one another. 

So, with regards to your question about using a button on a report that points to a Web URL as an Action and having that open in the same tab and not a different tab, I am not aware of a solution for that.

If you create a dashboard and set the action on the tile of a dashboard to a web url then it will remain in the same tab and not a different tab.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Let me confirm that we are talking about actual dashboard tiles here because I cannot replicate the behavior that you are seeing. When I set a dashboard tile as follows, it opens the report in the same tab in the browser.

Greg_Deckler_0-1600448476088.png

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Can you give me more details on how to find the location of the image that you kindly posted, please?

@Anonymous 

Greg_Deckler_0-1600691832630.png

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

I have a Dashboard A in Power BI Service with 3 pages. On each page I created a navigation menu between these pages. For this, I chose an image on https://www.flaticon.com/, inserted it in the dashboard, went to Action, chose Page Navigation and finally the destination page. When the end user clicks on any of these icons, in the Power BI Service, navigation continues on the same browser tab. This is perfectly in line with what I wanted.

But I chose a home icon to take to a Dashboard B. For this, I went to Power BI Service, opened Dashboard B, copied the URL, went to Dashboard A, the home icon, action, in type I chose web url , and entered the copied address and published the dashboard to the Service. Then, when the user, who is on dashboard A, clicks the icon to go to Dashborad B, dahsboard B opens in a new tab. The goal is for this dashbard to open in the same browser tab that the user is using. Opening in another tab creates a bad experience. It could be the way I'm inserting the link ... Would you know how to help me with this, please?

@Anonymous OK, first of all, you are using "dashboard" in a way that is utterly confusing. What you are referring to is called a "report" in Power BI. In Power BI "dashboard" is something completely different than what you are talking about. So we were speaking apples and oranges with one another. 

So, with regards to your question about using a button on a report that points to a Web URL as an Action and having that open in the same tab and not a different tab, I am not aware of a solution for that.

If you create a dashboard and set the action on the tile of a dashboard to a web url then it will remain in the same tab and not a different tab.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for confusion, I'm new in the PBI world.

I appreciate your help! Thank you very much!

Anonymous
Not applicable

For contract reasons, I can't show the dashboard, but see image 1, I placed an icon to open a new dashbaord

1.PNG

When clicking on the icon, notice that it opened a new tab in the browser.

2.PNG

How do I open it in the same tab, please? I couldn't identify Tile Details, in the image you sent

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors