Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Leise
Regular Visitor

Help... please! Credentials are required to connect to the Web source: Basic Authentication for REST

Hi there,

I have a set of REST Services that I connect to using Web.

The REST Services use Basic Authentication over HTTPS.

When refreshing these services through Power BI Desktop and entering the credentials for Basic Authentication, the data is refreshed correctly with no issue.

I then publish the Power BI report to Power BI Service and I try to set up the Schedule Refresh.

In Data Source Credentials I get the following:
Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.

When I edit the credentials for Web, select Basic as the Authentication Method and enter the correct User Name and Password I get the following:
Failed to update data source credentials: Credentials are required to connect to the Web source.

If I try and hit the REST Service through a browser and enter the exact same User Name and Password I am authenticated and the web service returns the expected result.

The REST Service is an HTTPS service that is publically accessible.

I have tried everything including switching authentication mechanisms and I even tried to download the Data Gateway to set that up to see if that would make a difference. When I download the Data Gateway and click the EXE nothing happens. I have tried unblocking the EXE, running it in Compatibility Mode and still nothing.

Help... please!

4 REPLIES 4
Leise
Regular Visitor

Hi there,

I have a set of REST Services that I connect to using Web.

The REST Services use Basic Authentication over HTTPS.

When refreshing these services through Power BI Desktop and entering the credentials for Basic Authentication, the data is refreshed correctly with no issue.

I then publish the Power BI report to Power BI Service and I try to set up the Schedule Refresh.

In Data Source Credentials I get the following:
Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.

When I edit the credentials for Web, select Basic as the Authentication Method and enter the correct User Name and Password I get the following:
Failed to update data source credentials: Credentials are required to connect to the Web source.

If I try and hit the REST Service through a borwser and enter the exact same User Name and Password I am authenticated and the web service returns the expected result.

The REST Service is an HTTPS service that is publically accessible.

I have tried everything including switching authentication mechanisms and I even tried to download the Data Gateway to set that up. When I download the Data Gateway and click the EXE nothing happens. I have tried unblocking the EXE, running it in Compatibility Mode and still nothing.

Help... please!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Leise,

Can you please provide more detail information about this? (for e.g. gateway connection mode, use choose which gateway, where the REST service located? on-premise/online)

>> When I download the Data Gateway and click the EXE nothing happens. I have tried unblocking the EXE, running it in Compatibility Mode and still nothing.

Please share more detail content about your testing steps.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

The REST Service is an online REST Service that is publically accessible.

At this stage there is no gateway in play as I could not get it to install.

So a few questions:

Do I definitely need a gateway to make the scheduled refresh work
If so, what gateway connection mode and settings do I need to use

Many thanks.

Hi @Leise,

Please provide the detail information about datasource settings of power bi desktop and the dataset setting of power bi service.
Have you used the 'web.page' connector in power query?

If that is a case, you need a gateway to manage the refresh; otherwise power bi will use 'connect live' mode to link your source.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors