Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jjku
Frequent Visitor

Help diagnosing a data gateway/powerbi desktop refresh issue

I have an odd issue that I cannot seem to find a solution and any advice will be great:

We have a dataset that has been "online" for about 7 months. Everything was working fine.

1) I have one internet connection at my office

2) I use the data gateway so that PowerBI service can update

3) A month back, PowerBI service ran into an issue where the update the would time out - at the time the gateways were setup from our office internet connection

4) At the same time, PowerBI desktop would not refresh either from the office

5) Brilliantly, I used my home connection to update the information from PowerBI desktop, and it worked just fine

6) At the same time, I installed data gateway onto my home computer and used that home connection to update PowerBI service. It worked too.

7) however, the office connection will just not finish the data refresh when I manually do it.

The error:

The error when I use my office internet connection:

In PowerBI Service, it just times out

In PowerBI Desktop, there is a OLE DB or ODBC error:[DataSource.Error] OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..

I know everyone is going to tell me it is my internet connection at the office. But how can I begin to troubleshoot the problem? Nothing had changed for the dataset. 

I have enabled:

Never allo data previews to download in the background

The max # of evaluations is 16 and the memory used per simultaneous evaluations is 432 MB

Max cache is 4096

I disabled:

Enable parrallel loading of tables

Any ideas or help would be welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jjku
Frequent Visitor

We threw out the Meraki and installed Untangle. Works like a charm now. Still odd, nothing was changed on the Meraki side. In any case, it's fine now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jjku
Frequent Visitor

We threw out the Meraki and installed Untangle. Works like a charm now. Still odd, nothing was changed on the Meraki side. In any case, it's fine now.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jjku ,

You could take a look at this blog. It contains several solution to the error.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-an-existing-connection-was-forcibly-closed-by-the-remote-host-error/ 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
jjku
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I didn't mention it, but I guess I am the network admin. We haven't touched or changed a thing.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jjku 

If it works fine from home, but not at the office it is an issue with your network in your office.

I would chat to your network admin to work out what is causing the issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors