Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerUser123
Helper II
Helper II

Heavy Transformation from Flat Files - Better in Dataflow or Dataset?

I have a lot of Excel, CSV, and text files stored in SharePoint which is my model's main data source. I perform heavy transformations on the data. In regards to performance, is it better to place all that transformation at the dataflow level and then simply import the dataflow into a dataset with little to none transformation happening there?

Or would it better to import the files with essentially no transformation at the dataflow level and then perform all of the transformation at the dataset level?

Or am I overthinking this and there is no real difference? 

Editing some data models directly hooked up to SharePoint can take forever when editing. Editing the same data when this data comes from a dataflow is seemless and easy. 

1 REPLY 1
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Dataflow is best place to do all your transformation.

If your files are big in size you can explore connecting as web, it will be lot faster
Quick Tips: Connecting to Excel Files Stored in SharePoint Online from Power BI Desktop (biinsight.c... 

Also you can do all your work in power BI desktop intially and then copy the M Code and paste in Dataflow

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors