Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIC
Frequent Visitor

Has Power BI Direct Connection been deprecated ?

Is Direct Connection still possible or has it been deprecated ?

As described here: http://radacad.com/power-bi-get-data-from-azure-sql-database#comment-59271

I have looked at it before and I could see the Connect button.

However, now, when I Click on Get Data in Power BI website - under Create New Content - Choose Databases - Get - Azure SQL Database. I no longer get a Connect button but instead it advises me to Use Power BI Desktop to Get Data. This is not Direct Connection.....it would be either an Import or a Direct Query in Power BI Desktop. You would then import a Visualization with only the referenced table and columns in the accompanying data source.

I want to expose my Azure SQL Database to Power BI as a Data Source. Please advise ? Is there anything in terms of permissions that prevents me seeing the Connect button and seeing the Power BI Desktop option instead? 

I have a Pro licence.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @PBIC.

In fact, these connector has migrated to desktop side for a long time.

I guess it may related to below reasons.

1. On service side, you can't choose which tables/fileds to load and do customize calculations.

2. Desktop side has better support for report customized.

3. There are no obviously differences between two mode.

So, power bi service remove online version and suggest you create report on desktop side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @PBIC.

In fact, these connector has migrated to desktop side for a long time.

I guess it may related to below reasons.

1. On service side, you can't choose which tables/fileds to load and do customize calculations.

2. Desktop side has better support for report customized.

3. There are no obviously differences between two mode.

So, power bi service remove online version and suggest you create report on desktop side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors